Calculating Reduced Mass of Molecules

In summary, the reduced mass is defined by the formula 1/μ = 1/m1 + 1/m2 + ... and is used to find the reduced mass of a molecule like HCl. The reduced mass of molecules is calculated using the mass of the atoms without considering the protons and electrons. This difference is negligible for larger molecules, such as HCl.
astrosona
[SOLVED] reduced mass?!

Hi there,

I know the reduced mass is defining with the below formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{\mu}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{m _{1}} + \frac{1}{m_{2}} + ... [/tex]

In Bohr's radius when i want to find the [tex]\mu[/tex] i use the
m1 = mass of electron
m2 = mass of poroton

but what if i need to find the reduced mass of a molecule like HCI ?
do i have to take the masses of all electrons and protons the molecule has or do i have to just take the masses of C & H & I?

I need it to solve the problem 1.5 page 26 from book: Modern Spectroscopy by Hollas

thanks
sona

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok, i found the answer myself!

yes! i was correct! the reduced mass of molecules are been calculated as what i thought the other day. we just use the mass of the atoms without thinking of the protons and electrons...actually the mass of the atom is the real mass not the reduced mass. The point is for the big molecules like HCl or ... the difference between the reduced mass calculated by taking the real mass of element atoms or the reduced mass of the elem atoms is too small to be considered.

so for example for HCl: (1/ miu) = (1/mass of H) + (1/ mass of Cl)

cooooooooool! ha?

What is the definition of reduced mass in molecular calculations?

The reduced mass is the effective mass of a system in which two or more particles are interacting with each other. It takes into account the individual masses of the particles as well as their relative distances from each other.

How is the reduced mass calculated?

The reduced mass is calculated using the formula μ = m1m2 / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two particles in the system. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion and the concept of center of mass.

Why is reduced mass important in molecular calculations?

Reduced mass is important because it allows us to simplify the calculations for systems with multiple interacting particles. It also helps us understand the dynamics of the system and predict its behavior.

What are the units of reduced mass?

The units of reduced mass are the same as units of mass, such as kilograms or grams. However, in some cases, atomic mass units (u) may be used to represent reduced mass.

How does the reduced mass affect the motion of molecules?

The reduced mass affects the motion of molecules by determining the strength of the interatomic forces and the frequency of molecular vibrations. It also plays a role in the determination of energy levels and the overall stability of the molecule.