1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reductio ad absurdum

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have a little question concerning contradictions :

If I have a statement "A" that I want to prove, and only have the possibility for it to be True or False.

After some manipulations, I arrive at some contradiction. (Here's where my question begins.)

How can we know that a contradiction is enough to be sure at 100 % that a statement is not correct?

Is it because in Mathematics, for a thing to be True or False, it must always be ALWAYS "working" without arriving at some contradiction ? (Mathematical ideas must always work, and not sometimes yes, sometimes no.)

I just want to be sure of thinking of it in the right way, corrections would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How can you know that a contradiction is enough? After you've checked to make sure you didn't make a mistake.

Mathematics cannot tolerate even one contradiction. With one single contradiction (X and both not X are true), *all* of mathematics falls apart. It's called the principle of explosion. Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_explosion.

That said, there is no contradiction if you've just made a mistake somewhere. You've made a mistake, that's all. Suppose that you find a contradiction as a consequence of some initial assumption and verify that every step after making some initial assumption is solid. That doesn't mean you didn't make a mistake. You did. The mistake was making that initial assumption! The initial assumption has to be incorrect. By assuming something and then showing that this leads to a contradiction, you have but no choice but to reject that initial assumption.

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    AHhhhh! This is clear now ! It make sense lol

Thank you !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook