Reduction of Order - Legendre Eqn

In summary, the conversation discusses using Legendre's equation to find the second independent solution for a given solution set. It suggests using reduction of order and provides a general method for obtaining the functions v_n(x), which involves integrals that can be solved through partial fractions or trig substitutions. The process can be tedious but is good practice.
MidnightR
Legendre's eq of order n>=0 is

(1-x^2)y'' -2xy' +n(n+1)y = 0.

You are given the soln y = P_n(x) for n=0,1,2,3 to be P_0(x)=1 ; P_1(x)=x ; P_2(x)=(3x^2-1)/2 ; P_3(x)=(5x^3 -3x)/2. Use reduction of order to find the second independent soln's Q_n(x)

OK I've found Q_1(x) = ln(1-x)(1+x)

I'm struggling with Q_2(x), the integrals get really horrible

Is there a faster way of doing this? Am I suppose to solve all four in this way or is there a way to do it for the general case (any n)?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll always have to do an integral for any n. The most general result you can obtain is the following. Substitute

[tex]Q_n(x) = v_n(x) P_n(x)[/tex]

into the Legendre equation. After some algebra, you find that it reduces to

[tex] ( (1-x^2) P_n v_n' )' =0, [/tex]

leading to an expression for the functions [tex]v_n(x)[/tex] as

[tex] v_n = c_n \int \frac{dx}{(1-x^2) P_n},[/tex]

where [tex]c_n[/tex] is an integration constant. All of the integrals seem like they can be done by either partial fractions or trig substitutions, but I can see how they get tedious at higher order.

Cheers, I guess it's good "practice". Sigh.

1. What is the Reduction of Order method used for in the Legendre Equation?

The Reduction of Order method is used to solve higher order differential equations, such as the Legendre Equation, by reducing them to a simpler form that can be solved using known techniques.

2. How does the Reduction of Order method work in the context of the Legendre Equation?

In the context of the Legendre Equation, the Reduction of Order method involves substituting a new variable and its corresponding derivative into the equation to reduce the order. This new variable is often chosen to eliminate the highest order derivative term.

3. What is the general formula for using the Reduction of Order method to solve the Legendre Equation?

The general formula for using the Reduction of Order method to solve the Legendre Equation is:
y'' - ((m+1)(m+2)/((2m+1)(2m+3)))y = 0
where m is the order of the equation.

4. What are the steps involved in using the Reduction of Order method to solve the Legendre Equation?

The steps involved in using the Reduction of Order method to solve the Legendre Equation are:
1. Substitute a new variable and its corresponding derivative into the equation.
2. Simplify the equation using algebraic manipulation.
3. Solve for the new variable using known techniques, such as separation of variables or integration.
4. Substitute the solution for the new variable back into the original equation to obtain the general solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Reduction of Order method for the Legendre Equation?

Yes, the Reduction of Order method can only be used for linear differential equations, which means that the equation must have the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. Additionally, this method may not work for all values of m and may require further manipulation to obtain a complete solution.