Simplifying Argument of Dirac Delta for Reexpressing a Dirac Delta

In summary, the problem involves showing that a given expression is equal to a simplified form. The equation for simplifying delta functions is used, and the argument is further simplified by using a constraint from another factor. The calculation is done in the centre of momentum frame.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that $$\delta(k^2) \delta[(k-q_2)^2] = \delta(k^2) \delta(k^0 - \sqrt{s}/2) \frac{1}{2\sqrt{s}},$$ where ##k = (k^0, \mathbf k)## and ##s = q_2^2,## where ##q_2 = (\sqrt{s},\mathbf 0)##

2. Homework Equations

I was going to use the fact that $$\delta(f(x)) = \sum \frac{\delta(x-a_i)}{|f'(a_i)|},$$ where the ##a_i## are such that ##f(a_i)=0##.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

In this case let ##f = (k-q_2)^2 = k^2 - 2k \cdot q_2 + q_2^2## where ##\cdot## is the inner product of two four vectors. Then using the explicit four vector expressions I get ##{k^0}^2 - |\mathbf k|^2 - 2k^0 \sqrt{s} + s = 0 \Rightarrow k^0 = \sqrt{s} \pm |\mathbf k|,## which would imply I have a term ##\delta(k^0 - (\sqrt{s} + |\mathbf k|))## but this is not matching with what is given. The calculation is computed in the centre of momentum frame, hence the form of the four vectors. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify the argument of ##\delta[(k-q_2)^2]## using the constraint from the factor of ##\delta[k^2]=\delta[(k^0)^2 - |\mathbf k|^2]##. It is most convenient to use this before you compute the root.

What is a Dirac delta function?

A Dirac delta function, also known as a unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite amplitude and an integral of one over the entire real line.

Why do we need to reexpress a Dirac delta function?

A Dirac delta function is not a true function but rather a generalized function or distribution. It is often used as a mathematical tool to represent physical quantities in certain situations. However, it can be inconvenient to work with in its original form, so reexpressing it in a different form can make calculations and analysis easier.

How can a Dirac delta function be reexpressed?

A Dirac delta function can be reexpressed in various ways, depending on the specific application. Some common reexpressions include using a Gaussian function, a sinc function, or a Heaviside step function.

What are some practical applications of reexpressing a Dirac delta function?

Reexpressing a Dirac delta function can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can be used to model point sources in electric and magnetic fields, to represent impulsive forces in mechanical systems, and to analyze signals and systems in communication and control engineering.

Are there any limitations to reexpressing a Dirac delta function?

While reexpressing a Dirac delta function can make calculations and analysis easier, it should be noted that the resulting expressions may not always be accurate representations of the original delta function. This is due to the fact that the delta function is an idealized mathematical concept and may not always accurately reflect real-world situations.