Reflecting Gamma Rays w/ Electron Gas for Spacecraft

In summary, the antimatter photon rocket, proposed in the 1950s by Eugen Sänger, uses positron-electron annihilation to produce gamma rays. However, the problem of how to reflect and collimate these gamma rays remains unsolved. Some suggest using multiple layers of shielding or a "pure electron gas" but the feasibility of these methods is unclear. While X-rays can be reflected and focused, this is not useful for propulsion. Gamma rays, on the other hand, lose energy when undergoing scattering, making them less efficient for propulsion. Additionally, the heat generated from absorption and blackbody radiation limits the thrust of this type of rocket.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
In a discussion recently I came across the idea of an antimatter photon rocket, to quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_photonic_rocket#Power_sources"
A design proposed in the 1950s by Eugen Sänger used positron-electron annihilation to produce gamma rays. Sänger was unable to solve the problem of how to reflect, and collimate the gamma rays created by positron-electron annihilation; however, by shielding the reactions (or other annihilations) and absorbing their energy, a similar blackbody propulsion system could be created. An antimatter-matter powered photon rocket would (disregarding the shielding) obtain the maximum c specific impulse; for this reason, an antimatter-matter annihilation powered photon rocket could potentially be used for interstellar spaceflight.
Looking through various sites via google I've had a few answers as to how gamma rays may be reflected, the general consensus is that it cannot practically be done (multiple layers of shielding may do so but would absorb a lot of energy) however I have come across sites that have mentioned "pure electron gas" but I can't seem to find the original source.

Does anyone know what this is and if it is realistic that it could be practically created for spacecraft propulsion? In compliance with https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3404598&postcount=4" I'll clarify that my knowledge of physics should best be treated as a layman with some extra knowledge. Maths I haven't studied since school and my knowledge of particle physics is simplistic (electrons orbit nuclei etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Actually, they make X ray (which overlaps Gamma rays on the spectrum) telescopes, using curved surfaces of (heavy) metals which reflect at a very oblique angle. So you can. in fact, get reflection and, indeed, focussing. I was pretty amazed when I first heard of that.
Not much use for the idea of propulsion, though.

Yes I've heard that gamma rays can be reflected at extreme angles, interesting stuff! But as you point out not very useful for propulsion.

Gamma ray reflection is incoherent. The essential point is that gamma rays lose energy when undergoing any scattering, losing most at 180 deg. X-ray scattering is mostly coherent, where there is no energy loss.

Technically, for propulsion purposes you wouldn't need to be able to reflect the photons given off. Even if you just absorbed them you would gain a propulsive force from the radiation pressure, but the force would only be half of the maximum available from pure reflection. I don't know if that would be enough of a propulsive force for it to have an advantage over other potential forms of propulsion though.

@mathmqn: You are talking about Compton scattering.

You can also get perfectly elastic total reflection of x-rays and gamma rays. But the surfaces have to be very very flat and the angle of incidence has to be very small.

If the mirror has a small curvature it can be used to focus the x-rays/gamma rays.

This was successfully employed at Rosat which deorbited last year. Laboratory x-rays of 20 keV and more are routinely focused with such mirrors. The higher the energy, the smaller the angle has to be, so for several 100s of keV from pair annihilation is would be exteremely difficult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROSAT

For propulsion this is useless, of course. You want near back-reflection for that.

Last edited:
Reflection involves twice the momentum change as absorption so twice the propulsive force.

The X rays hit the reflector at a ver oblique angle so they do not penetrate the surface. they consist of a portion of a paraboloid that is way up on the side and they are arranged as a 'toast rack( with several reflectors side by side. A delightful bit of invention

M Quack said:
@mathmqn: You are talking about Compton scattering.

You can also get perfectly elastic total reflection of x-rays and gamma rays. But the surfaces have to be very very flat and the angle of incidence has to be very small.

If the mirror has a small curvature it can be used to focus the x-rays/gamma rays.

This was successfully employed at Rosat which deorbited last year. Laboratory x-rays of 20 keV and more are routinely focused with such mirrors. The higher the energy, the smaller the angle has to be, so for several 100s of keV from pair annihilation is would be extremely difficult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROSAT

For propulsion this is useless, of course. You want near back-reflection for that.

I don't think one should use the terms x-rays and gamma rays interchangeably. Gamma rays don't coherently scatter, x-rays do.

Both x-rays and gamma rays are electromagnetic waves. Radiation from electronic processes are usually called x-rays, from nuclear processes are usually called gamma rays. The energy ranges overlap. Moessbauer gammas from 57Fe for example come from the nucleus, but have an energy of only 14.4 keV - a lot softer than the x-rays you receive at a medical examination.

The distinction is purely artificial.

Another issue with absorption and blackbody radiation is the involved heat, which limits the thrust. ~3000K (quite hot) gives a pressure of just ~1/20 Pa.

1. What is "Reflecting Gamma Rays w/ Electron Gas for Spacecraft"?

"Reflecting Gamma Rays w/ Electron Gas for Spacecraft" is a scientific concept that involves using an electron gas as a reflective material to protect spacecraft from gamma ray radiation in space.

2. How does an electron gas reflect gamma rays?

An electron gas is a type of material that is composed of free electrons floating in a gas or plasma. When gamma rays interact with the free electrons, they are scattered in different directions, effectively reflecting the radiation away from the spacecraft.

3. Why is it important to protect spacecraft from gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a type of high-energy radiation that can be harmful to living organisms and electronic equipment. Therefore, it is crucial to protect spacecraft from gamma rays to ensure the safety of astronauts and the functionality of the spacecraft's systems.

4. What are the potential applications of "Reflecting Gamma Rays w/ Electron Gas for Spacecraft"?

This concept has the potential to be used in the design and construction of spacecraft and satellites, particularly for long-term missions in space where exposure to gamma rays is a concern. It can also be applied to other technologies that require shielding from gamma rays, such as medical equipment and nuclear reactors.

5. What are the challenges of using an electron gas as a reflective material for spacecraft?

One of the main challenges is creating and maintaining an electron gas in space, as it requires specific conditions and can be easily disrupted by external factors. Additionally, the effectiveness of the electron gas as a reflector may vary depending on the energy and intensity of the gamma rays. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand and overcome these challenges.