Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection intensity

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    If monochromatic light of the same amplitude is shown on a closed hollow black box and a closed black box filled with iron, will there be a difference in the intensity of light that is reflected back due to differences in the absorption of light in the two boxes?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I follow. If the boxes are closed, how does light have access to what's inside ?
  4. Feb 18, 2005 #3
    I think he is asking is would the fact that there is iron in one of the boxes, versus a hollow box, affect how the box absorbs the light that is being shown on the outside. If the box is black doesnt it absorb all the light anyway?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A "perfect black", by definition would absorb all light- but, of course, there no such thing in the real world. However, reflection of light is determined by the surface properties. What is "inside" the box has nothing to do with it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?