Reflection of Light: Understanding the Angle of Incidence & Reflection

In summary: If reflection of light is an interaction with individual atoms, then when light varies its angle, the angle of reflection would always be the same as the angle of incidence. However, for reflection to happen at atomic level, the light would need to scatter off of individual atoms, and this would not always happen.
SciencePF
If reflection of light is an interaction with atoms how we get always angle i=angle r?

Science news on Phys.org
SciencePF said:
If reflection of light is an interaction with atoms how we get always angle i=angle r?

We don't always get that. For example, in a diffraction grating, the angle of incidence is not equal to the angle of reflection.

Ok, but suppose the case we always get reflection (plane mirror, polished surface metal ... ! What happens at atomic level when light varies it´s angle i and angle r is automatically adjusted to the same value as angle i?

SciencePF said:
If reflection of light is an interaction with atoms

It's not an interaction with individual atoms. You have to consider the atoms of a solid or liquid as a collective system which interacts with photons differently than simply as the sum of independent interactions with individual atoms.

To get an idea of what is involved, see post #4 of the Physics Forums FAQ, although it specifically addresses refraction rather than reflection.

Think of the photon as a billiard ball hitting a bumper. The electrons in the atoms in the mirror scatter an electron just like the bumper scatters the ball. It doesn't know to go at the right angle, it is merely worked upon by the mirror - which recoils.

Feynman's book "QED" decribes this nicely. Photons can scatter in a broad range of angles off every point on the mirror, but the paths add in phase. If you sum up the contributions to the electric field at a detector position, you find that the phases of most paths cancel, and the paths that don't cancel are those very near the point on the mirror where the incident angle equals the reflected angle. But the other parts matter too - as you make the mirror narrower and narrower (or as you look more and more carefully), you will start to see diffraction artifacts in the reflection. Theta(i) = Theta(r) is a ray-based simplification that captures enough detail for most purposes, but a correct treatment is much more complicated.

SciencePF said:
Ok, but suppose the case we always get reflection (plane mirror, polished surface metal ... ! What happens at atomic level when light varies it´s angle i and angle r is automatically adjusted to the same value as angle i?

What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a ray of light hits a surface. It is measured between the incident ray and the normal to the surface at the point of incidence.

What is the angle of reflection?

The angle of reflection is the angle at which a ray of light is reflected off a surface. It is measured between the reflected ray and the normal to the surface at the point of incidence.

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the incident ray, the reflected ray, and the normal to the surface all lie on the same plane.

How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence directly affects the angle of reflection. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of reflection also increases. When the angle of incidence is 90 degrees, the angle of reflection is also 90 degrees, resulting in a perfectly reflected ray.

What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection occurs when a ray of light hits a smooth surface and is reflected in a single direction, like a mirror. Diffuse reflection occurs when a ray of light hits a rough surface and is scattered in multiple directions. This is why we can see our reflection on a mirror, but not on a piece of paper.