Refraction - Hitting fish with laser gun

In summary, according to relativity principles, light will bend when going from air to water and then back to air. If the faster object is less bent then the slower object then the faster object will pass through the slower object first. This is why it is possible to aim a laser gun at a fish and hit it.
SissyQ19
if you were to hit a fish with a laser gun, how would you aim? (provided that laser if faster than light). Pls explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would aim directly at where I see the fish! And, no, the laser light is not faster than light because - well - it IS light!

I will not shoot at its apparent position.

Why not? Don't you expect the light going into the water to follow the same path as light coming out of the water?

depends on where the fish is :P

Logically, the fish is in the water. If the fish were not in the water then there would be no need to aim at it. You would simply pick up the fish, carry it to the skillet and fry it with the laser. :-)

According to relativity principles light deviates when it is affected by gravity. This is not true for laser. Therefore the fish will actually be higher than it seems.
Now that I realize it is a fish I suppose it is in water :p
Let's say that the laser is faster than light.
I believe it is possible that the faster something is the less it bends when switching from an envirement to another (per say air-water) not fully sure of this as I have no proof
If this was true though then light passing penetrating the water would bend with an angle theta while the laser would bend with an angle < theta. In order to hit the fish you would have to aim beneath the fish so that theta(laser)>theta(light).

This is too much guessing to be of any real use but might provide some ideas which you can mix with coursework to get the real answer. Just look up on how speed of a traveling object (be it light or laser) propagates while passing between different mediums, have fun!

FAQ: Refraction - Hitting fish with laser gun

1. How does refraction work when hitting fish with a laser gun?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air and water. When a laser beam is fired at a fish underwater, the light bends as it enters the water, making it appear as if the fish is in a different location than it actually is. This can make it difficult to accurately hit the fish with the laser gun.

2. Can the angle of refraction be predicted when using a laser gun to hit fish?

The angle of refraction can be predicted using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. However, in real-life situations, factors such as water currents and turbulence can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

3. How does the color of the laser affect refraction when hitting fish?

The color of the laser does not significantly affect refraction. All colors of light travel at the same speed in a vacuum, but they may have slightly different speeds in water. However, this difference is not significant enough to cause a noticeable change in the angle of refraction.

4. What is the best way to adjust for refraction when aiming at fish with a laser gun?

The best way to adjust for refraction is to aim slightly above the actual location of the fish. This takes into account the bending of the light as it enters the water, increasing the chances of hitting the fish with the laser gun.

5. Can refraction be completely eliminated when using a laser gun to hit fish?

No, refraction cannot be completely eliminated. The bending of light is a natural phenomenon and cannot be controlled. However, understanding the principles of refraction and making adjustments for it can improve the accuracy of hitting fish with a laser gun.

Back