Refractive Index of Gold at Microwave Frequencies

In summary, the conversation is about the refractive index of pure gold at microwave frequencies, specifically 2.4 GHz. It is mentioned that as a metal, large pieces of gold will act as a good reflector, but for smaller pieces, it depends on the geometry. The individual asking the question is working with nano/microscale particles or thin films and wants to know the refractive index to study the electromagnetic field surrounding different materials at different wavelengths. Suggestions are given to measure the conductivity of bulk gold or extrapolate from optical frequency data, but the individual is hesitant to do so without actual data. It is also pointed out that microwave ovens operate at a lower frequency than the one in question.
CourtJester035
Hi, can anyone help me out with the refractive index of pure gold at microwave freguencies? (Specifically something close to 2.4 GHz, or your average household microwave oven)

Much obliged!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
As it is a metal, any large piece will be a good reflector. For small parts, it depends on the geometry of the piece. In any way, why do you need the refractive index? Do you expect microwaves traveling within the gold?

First off, I am working with either nano/microscale particles or very thin films. I want to know the refractive index because I am looking at the electromagnetic field surrounding various materials at different wavelengths.

Maybe you could measureconductivity of bulk gold ? Or extrapolate from optical frequency data ?

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions, Alkim. Unfortunately, I was hoping to avoid measuring, as we do not have much excess material to make a bulk measurement. As for extrapolating, I thought about this. However, because microwaves are many magnitudes lower in frequency than the visible spectrum and the fact that a refractive index plot is not necessarily linear over that distance, I would be hesitant to accept an extrapolation as being a reasonably close approximation without having any actual data to corroborate.

BTW, microwave ovens operate at 1/10 your frequency.

marcusl said:
BTW, microwave ovens operate at 1/10 your frequency.

Yes, thank you marcus. This was a typo and should have been 2.4 GHz.

1. What is the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies?

The refractive index of gold varies depending on the frequency of the microwaves. At higher frequencies, the refractive index is closer to 1, while at lower frequencies it can be as high as 2.4.

2. How does the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies affect its properties?

The refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies plays a crucial role in determining its electromagnetic properties, such as its reflectivity and absorption. It also affects the way gold interacts with other materials and how it is used in technologies such as microwave antennas and sensors.

3. What factors influence the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies?

The refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies is influenced by various factors, including the frequency and intensity of the microwaves, the temperature, and the purity and structure of the gold sample.

4. Can the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies be measured?

Yes, the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies can be measured using various techniques, such as ellipsometry, interferometry, and spectroscopy. These methods involve shining microwaves through or onto a gold sample and measuring the resulting changes in the wave's properties.

5. How is the refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies used in practical applications?

The refractive index of gold at microwave frequencies is important in various applications, such as in microwave circuitry, where it is used to design and optimize components such as filters and waveguides. It is also used in the development of gold-based sensors for detecting and measuring microwaves in medical and industrial settings.