Where Are the Poles of a Flat Refrigerator Magnet?

In summary, the poles are on the same side of the magnet, like alternating horseshoe magnets--very clever, making only one side "sticky".
overlook1977
I have a flat rectangular refrigerator magnet. I was curious to where the N S poles were, so I took a standard bar magnet to it to find them. Curiously, the bar magnet does not seem to be repelled at any place of the refrig magnet. Where would the poles be on a flat, bendable refrig magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is no expert response; I don't actually know the answer. Having worked with the stupid things, however, I have a suspicion.
I used to make fridge magnets, screen-printing a design and then cutting out the shape. When stacking them for packaging, they like to slide around on each other just a bit and then settle down. That leads me to think that north and south domains alternate across the surface, quite close together, as if you had hundreds of bar magnets standing on end in a checkerboard pattern.

Danger said:
That leads me to think that north and south domains alternate across the surface, quite close together, as if you had hundreds of bar magnets standing on end in a checkerboard pattern.
You have the right idea, almost. The poles are all on the same side, like alternating horseshoe magnets--very clever, making only one side "sticky". Check this out: http://mrsec.wisc.edu/Edetc/background/fridgemag/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... that's even weirder than I thought. I kinda like that 'worm gear' thing that the guy made, but I can't imagine it transferring much more torque than is needed to just turn the 'pinion'.

Neat, wonder if I can find enough such fridge magnets to try that gear thing..

Danger said:
Wow... that's even weirder than I thought. I kinda like that 'worm gear' thing that the guy made, but I can't imagine it transferring much more torque than is needed to just turn the 'pinion'.

Please provide a Link?

KingNothing said:
Please provide a Link?

It's in Doc's link. Just scroll down a bit.

1. Where are the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet located?

The poles of a flat refrigerator magnet are located at the opposite ends of the magnet. One end is known as the north pole, while the other end is the south pole.

2. Why are the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet important?

The poles of a flat refrigerator magnet are important because they determine how the magnet will interact with other magnets or magnetic materials. The opposite poles of magnets attract each other, while the same poles repel each other.

3. How can I identify the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet?

To identify the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet, you can use a compass. The north pole of a magnet will be attracted to the south pole of the compass, and vice versa. Another method is to suspend the magnet from a string and observe which end points towards the Earth's north pole.

4. Can the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet be changed?

Yes, the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet can be changed by exposing the magnet to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction. This process is known as magnetization.

5. Will the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet always align with the Earth's magnetic field?

No, the poles of a flat refrigerator magnet will not always align with the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing and can vary in strength and direction. Additionally, the poles of a magnet can be influenced by other nearby magnetic fields, causing them to shift or realign.