Regarding the wavevector spread.

• I
  • Thread starter otaKu
  • Start date
In summary: So basically, the maximum possible spread for a wave is the length of the free space wavevector, which is 2π/λ. Lenses can reduce the spread by increasing the numerical aperture.
otaKu
So I was reading THIS book on nano optics. It says that the maximum possible spread in the wavevector component k(The spread can occur for instance when the light field converges towards a focus, e.g. behind a lens.) is the total length of the free space wavevector k=2π/λ.
Can anyone please explain this to me?! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the screenshot of the text if the google link doesn't work.
Untitled.png

otaKu said:
So I was reading THIS book on nano optics. It says that the maximum possible spread in the wavevector component k(The spread can occur for instance when the light field converges towards a focus, e.g. behind a lens.) is the total length of the free space wavevector k=2π/λ.
Can anyone please explain this to me?! Thanks.

What are you struggling with? Do you understand how to get eqn 1.2? The text seems to simply substitute 'k' into 'Δk', which is questionable, but if you like you should be able to determine Δk (start with writing down dk/dλ) and go from there.

Andy Resnick said:
What are you struggling with? Do you understand how to get eqn 1.2? The text seems to simply substitute 'k' into 'Δk', which is questionable, but if you like you should be able to determine Δk (start with writing down dk/dλ) and go from there.
I understand equation 1.2. What I don't understand is the reason why the author substituted k into Δk.

otaKu said:
I understand equation 1.2. What I don't understand is the reason why the author substituted k into Δk.

Does footnote 1 say anything relevant? That specific sentence seems to be the crux of the matter, and I don't quite understand it either.

Andy Resnick said:
Does footnote 1 say anything relevant? That specific sentence seems to be the crux of the matter, and I don't quite understand it either.
No it doesn't. It says "for real lens this must be corrected by the numerical aperture.'

otaKu said:
No it doesn't. It says "for real lens this must be corrected by the numerical aperture.'

Blech. The rest of the book seems to be better- chapter 2 was straightforward, chapter 3 is also reasonable (although I objected to a few things here and there).

The component along a direction cannot be larger than the magnitude of the vector. And cannot be less than zero. So the interval of values for any component of the vector k is from zero to k (magnitude). This is the maximum possible "spread" he is talking about.
The actual spread will be less that this maximum value and will depend on the angle of the cone of light. Which is given by the numerical aperture of the lens.

Likes otaKu and Andy Resnick
nasu said:
The component along a direction cannot be larger than the magnitude of the vector. And cannot be less than zero. So the interval of values for any component of the vector k is from zero to k (magnitude). This is the maximum possible "spread" he is talking about.
The actual spread will be less that this maximum value and will depend on the angle of the cone of light. Which is given by the numerical aperture of the lens.
Thanks!

What is the wavevector spread?

The wavevector spread is a measure of the variation or distribution of wavevectors in a given system or material. It is often used in the study of waves and their properties, such as in optics and solid state physics.

How is the wavevector spread calculated?

The wavevector spread is typically calculated using the standard deviation of the wavevectors in a system. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the wavevectors at different points or by analyzing the dispersion relation of the waves in the system mathematically.

What factors can influence the wavevector spread?

The wavevector spread can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the physical properties of the material, the geometry of the system, and any external forces or perturbations. Additionally, the type of wave being studied (e.g. electromagnetic, acoustic) can also affect the wavevector spread.

Why is the wavevector spread important in physics?

The wavevector spread is important in physics because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of waves in a given system. It can also help in understanding the effects of various factors on wave propagation and can be used to make predictions and calculations in various fields of physics.

How does the wavevector spread relate to other wave properties?

The wavevector spread is closely related to other wave properties such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. It can also be related to the energy and momentum of the waves in a system. Understanding the wavevector spread can provide insights into the relationships between these different wave properties.