1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regression (I think) of Newton's Law of Cooling

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using a data logger, I have collected data for two cooling cups: the temperature (c) at 1 second intervals. My task was to model this data using two methods.

"METHOD 1: Use EXCEL or the regression analysis capability of your graphic calculator"
    "METHOD 2: Find the constants in the model (A0 and k) by constructing a linear function relating lny and t."

I chose to use Excel for method 1. I have attached the spreadsheet.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's Law of Cooling: y=A0*e^kt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached the graphs that I have been able to produce (method 1) in a word document. I am unable to do method 2, as I'm really stuck for ideas.

Thank-you! Any help is much appreciated :)

Attached Files:

• u1.doc
      u1.doc
      File size:
      118 KB
      Views:
    • u1.xls
      u1.xls
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For method 2, the idea is to find constants A0 and k for which lny = kt + A0. If you plot lny versus t, this equation represents a straight line.

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your response!

Would it be safe for me to assume that (from y= mx + c), k is equal to m and A0 is equal to c?

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

Mark44

Yes.

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5
    Be careful! - Its really "c = ln(A0)"

7. Mar 14, 2012 #6

Mark44

No, not if the OP is working with the equation lny = kt + A0.

8. Mar 15, 2012 #7
    Yes, that is is correct, and I stand corrected. I was assumming the OP's original equation was, as he stated in "Relevant equations", of the form [itex]y = A_0 \cdot e^{kt}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook