Reissner Nordstrom Metric: Extreme Case Analysis

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
M}{\rho^2}\left(1 - \frac{M}{\rho}\right)\left(\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\right)^2 = 0We can then use the fact that the geodesic is ingoing, so \frac{d\rho}{d\lambda} < 0, to show that as \rho approaches 0, \lambda approaches a finite value. This means that the ingoing radial geodesic reaches \rho=0 in finite affine parameter. In summary, the extreme Reissner Nordstrom metric in isotropic coordinates can be shown to have an infinite proper distance from any finite \
latentcorpse
Show that the extreme Reissner Nordstrom metric in isotropic coordinates is
[itex]ds^2=-(1+\frac{M}{\rho})^{-2}dt^2 + ( 1+ \frac{M}{\rho})^2 ( d \rho^2 + \rho^2 d \Omega^2)[/itex]

I have done this using the substitution

[itex]r=\rho + M + \frac{M^2-Q^2}{4 \rho}=\rho + M[/itex] since [itex]M= | Q |[/itex] for the extreme case

The next part of the question asks me to verify that [itex]\rho=0[/itex] is an infinite proper distance from any finite [itex]\rho[/itex] along any curve of constant [itex]t[/itex].

Now I had a bit of a problem here. I had to also assume that [itex]\theta, \phi[/itex] are constant as well. This then gave

[itex]ds=( 1 + \frac{M}{\rho} ) d \rho[/itex]
[itex]s=\int_0^\rho (1 + \frac{M}{\rho} ) d \rho = \rho + M \ln{\rho} -M \ln{0} = \infty[/itex] since [itex]\ln{0}=-\infty[/itex]

Does anyone know how to do this without having to make the extra assumption that [itex]d \Omega=0[/itex]?

Then I am asked to verify that [itex]|t| \rightarrow \infty[/itex] as [itex]\rho \rightarrow 0[/itex] along any timelike or null curve but that a timelike or null ingoing radial geodesic reaches [itex]\rho=0[/itex] in finite affine parameter.
I have no idea how to do this. What do I take as the form of my curve?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

To verify that \rho=0 is an infinite proper distance from any finite \rho along any curve of constant t, we can use the fact that the proper distance d\rho is defined as the length of a curve on the surface of a sphere. This means that we can consider a curve on the surface of a sphere with constant t, \theta, and \phi. In this case, we can use the formula for the circumference of a circle on the surface of a sphere to calculate the proper distance:

d\rho = \rho d\phi

Since \phi is a constant along this curve, we can integrate from 0 to 2\pi to find the proper distance:

s = \int_0^{2\pi} \rho d\phi = 2\pi\rho

As \rho approaches 0, the proper distance s approaches infinity. This shows that \rho=0 is an infinite proper distance from any finite \rho along a curve of constant t, \theta, and \phi.

To verify that |t| \rightarrow \infty as \rho \rightarrow 0 along any timelike or null curve, we can use the fact that the metric is invariant under coordinate transformations. This means that we can choose a curve with a simple form, such as t=\rho, to calculate the limit. In this case, as \rho approaches 0, t also approaches 0. However, since we are dealing with an extreme Reissner Nordstrom metric, where M=|Q|, we know that t cannot be equal to 0. This means that t must approach either positive or negative infinity as \rho approaches 0.

For a timelike or null ingoing radial geodesic, we can use the geodesic equation to show that it reaches \rho=0 in finite affine parameter. The geodesic equation is given by:

\frac{d^2 x^\mu}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^\alpha}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^\beta}{d\lambda} = 0

where \lambda is the affine parameter. For an ingoing radial geodesic, we can set \theta=\pi/2 and \phi=0, and use the fact that the metric is diagonal to simplify the geodesic equation. This gives us:

\frac{d^

What is the Reissner Nordstrom Metric?

The Reissner Nordstrom Metric is a mathematical model used in general relativity to describe the properties of a charged, non-rotating black hole. It was first introduced by Hans Reissner and Gunnar Nordstrom in 1916.

How is the Reissner Nordstrom Metric different from other black hole metrics?

The Reissner Nordstrom Metric takes into account the electric charge of a black hole, while other black hole metrics such as the Schwarzschild Metric do not. This allows for a more accurate description of the properties of charged black holes.

What is the extreme case analysis of the Reissner Nordstrom Metric?

The extreme case analysis of the Reissner Nordstrom Metric refers to the scenario where the mass of the black hole is equal to the charge. In this case, the black hole is said to be extremal, and has a unique set of properties that differ from non-extremal black holes.

What are some of the properties of an extremal Reissner Nordstrom Metric?

An extremal Reissner Nordstrom Metric has a singularity at the event horizon, meaning that it is infinitely curved and time stands still. It also has an infinite electric field at the event horizon, and a double event horizon where the inner and outer horizons coincide.

What implications does the extreme case analysis have for black hole thermodynamics?

The extreme case analysis of the Reissner Nordstrom Metric has important implications for black hole thermodynamics. It shows that extremal black holes have a zero temperature, and that they can potentially have an infinite entropy and zero specific heat. This has led to further research and theories on the behavior of extremal black holes and their relationship to the laws of thermodynamics.