Relating Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy with springs and inclines

In summary, the problem involves a freight car on a 50 degree incline with failed brakes, traveling 150 m on a frictionless track before hitting a safety spring with a spring constant k = 18,500 N/m. The equation that can be solved for the car's kinetic energy just before striking the spring is (1/2)mv2f + mghf = (1/2)mv2i + mghi, which represents the conservation of mechanical energy. The spring is a red herring and does not affect the car's kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline. Therefore, the correct answer is option E, (1/2)mv2f + mghf = (1/2)
abpandanguyen

Homework Statement

A freight car loaded with ore is sitting on a 5o incline when its brakes fail. After traveling 150 m on a frictionless track, it reaches level ground where it strikes a massive safety spring with a spring constant k = 18,500 N/m. When its velocity has decreased to zero, an automatic latch will catch the car. The equation that can be solved for the car's kinetic energy just before striking the spring is

a. (1/2)mv2f + mghf - (1/2)kx2f = (1/2)mv2i + mghi - (1/2)kx2i.

b. (1/2)mv2f + mghf = (1/2)mv2i + (1/2)kx2max.

c. (1/2)mv2f + mghf - (1/2)kx2max = +mghi.

d.(1/2)mv2f + mghf = (1/2)mv2f + mghf - (1/2)kx2f = (1/2)mv2i.

e. (1/2)mv2f + mghf = (1/2)mv2i + mghi.

Homework Equations

U = mgh
Potential energy of a spring = (1/2)kx2
KE = (1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm hoping it is right to assume the answer of interest to the question specifically is (1/2)mv2f as that would be the car's kinetic energy just before striking the spring? (assuming that vf here is referring to the velocity of the car right before it hits the spring and nothing else)

I'm not quite understanding where to relate the potential energy of the spring into this. I would assume the max potential energy of the spring from compression would be less than the potential energy from the top of the incline.

Wouldn't (1/2)mv2i be 0 assuming the velocity here is the initial velocity when the car's brakes fail?

Or is this problem simple with the answer being E since the spring is at the bottom of the incline and it would make sense for
(1/2)mv2f to be equal to mghi.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring is a red herring. Whether it is there or not, the car will have the same KE at the bottom of the incline.

So I'm hoping E. is right, because that answer seems pretty straightforward >_<..

Can you interpret if what (e) is saying is correct? What is (e) saying to you?

E is telling me that the kinetic energy of it at the point before it hits the spring is equal to the potential energy from its starting position. The other two terms should be 0 since the final potential energy should be 0 and initial kinetic energy (since it is at rest) should also be at 0.

More generally, it is telling you that kinetic plus potential energy at the top is equal to kinetic plus potential energy at the bottom, just before the mass compresses the spring. That's a statement of conservation of mechanical energy. Since we are interested in the speed just before the spring is compressed and this a correct statement of mechanical energy conservation, it is the correct answer.

1. What is potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How are potential energy and kinetic energy related to springs?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. As the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring moves back to its resting position.

3. How does the incline affect the potential and kinetic energy of an object?

An object on an incline has the potential to roll or slide down due to the force of gravity. As it moves down the incline, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases.

4. What is the equation for calculating potential energy in a spring?

The equation for potential energy in a spring is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its resting position.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its potential and kinetic energy in a spring and incline system?

The mass of an object affects its potential and kinetic energy in a spring and incline system by changing the amount of force required to compress or stretch the spring and the amount of acceleration the object experiences as it moves down the incline.