Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between HO and this hamiltonian

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    hi,
    i have studied the annihilation and creation operators and number operator N in relation with the simple harmonic oscillator that is governed by:
    H = hw(N+1/2)

i don't understand the relation between the harmonic oscillator and for example, this hamiltonian:

H = hw1a+a+hw2a+a+aa

that i have found it in an example in the lecture notes of a course. they calculate the energies of this system. They use the annihilation operator that is defined from the simple HO to solve that system.
    what is physically this system? why i can use the SHO to calculate the energies?
    i feel that i am confused with the a operator . i thought that it was defined from the hamiltonian of the simple harmonic oscillator ,,,, isn't it ?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Formally, this new Hamiltonian is only an operator on the same Hilbert space as that used for the harmonic oscillator and expressed in terms of the operators ##a## and ##a^\dagger##, which have a known action on the energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator. You can therefore simply treat it as a (hermitian) operator on that Hilbert space and compute its eigenvalues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook