Relation between HO and this hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the harmonic oscillator and a new Hamiltonian that is expressed in terms of annihilation and creation operators. The new Hamiltonian can be treated as an operator on the same Hilbert space as the harmonic oscillator and its eigenvalues can be computed using the known action of the annihilation and creation operators on the energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator.
Matiasss
hi,
i have studied the annihilation and creation operators and number operator N in relation with the simple harmonic oscillator that is governed by:
H = hw(N+1/2)

i don't understand the relation between the harmonic oscillator and for example, this hamiltonian:

H = hw1a+a+hw2a+a+aa

that i have found it in an example in the lecture notes of a course. they calculate the energies of this system. They use the annihilation operator that is defined from the simple HO to solve that system.
what is physically this system? why i can use the SHO to calculate the energies?
i feel that i am confused with the a operator . i thought that it was defined from the hamiltonian of the simple harmonic oscillator ,,,, isn't it ?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Formally, this new Hamiltonian is only an operator on the same Hilbert space as that used for the harmonic oscillator and expressed in terms of the operators ##a## and ##a^\dagger##, which have a known action on the energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator. You can therefore simply treat it as a (hermitian) operator on that Hilbert space and compute its eigenvalues.

Likes Matiasss

1. What is the relationship between HO and this Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a system. The harmonic oscillator (HO) is a specific type of system where the potential energy is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position. Therefore, the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator is directly related to the potential energy of the system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian used in the study of harmonic oscillators?

The Hamiltonian is used to solve the equations of motion for a harmonic oscillator. It allows us to calculate the total energy of the system and determine the positions and velocities of the particles in the system at any given time. The Hamiltonian also helps us understand the stability and behavior of the system.

3. Can the Hamiltonian be used to study other systems besides harmonic oscillators?

Yes, the Hamiltonian can be used to study a wide range of physical systems, including atoms, molecules, and even complex systems like galaxies. It is a fundamental tool in classical and quantum mechanics for understanding the dynamics of a system.

4. How does the Hamiltonian change if the harmonic oscillator is perturbed?

If a harmonic oscillator is perturbed, meaning an external force is applied to the system, the Hamiltonian will also change. This is because the potential energy of the system will be altered, and therefore the total energy described by the Hamiltonian will also be affected. The new Hamiltonian will reflect the new potential energy of the perturbed system.

5. What is the significance of the relationship between HO and the Hamiltonian?

The relationship between HO and the Hamiltonian is significant because it allows us to understand and describe the behavior of a harmonic oscillator using a fundamental mathematical concept. This relationship also provides a framework for studying more complex systems by building upon the understanding of harmonic oscillators and their Hamiltonians.