Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between Torque, Speed, power etc. respect to a electric car

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    hey guys,

I am building an electric go kart for a final project, and i'm just trying to get my initial justifications correct, with respect to the classical physics involved.

SPECS: i was the car to be able to reach 15km/h,
    The total weight of the car will be approx 200kgs.
    the size of the tires of the car are 30 cm in diamator.

Motor Type: BLDC Motor
    Maximum Power: 350 Watt
    Max. Operating voltage: 48v

so i need to calculate the torque... at the wheels , and then decide on the gearing ratio! this decision is obviously indicative on the parametors of the motor i have! and the goals i want to achieve! The Motor i have has a max RPM of 4000, and a peak torque of 12NM.

can anyone show me best how to perform these calculations ? i understand that i need acceleration ! can i assume constant acceleration ? if that is the case can i just say i would like the car to accelerate to 15km/h in 10 seconds

... any help will be much appreciated !
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2
    If this is your final project these should be easy to figure out -

1 estimate speed of the go-cart to the rpm of the wheel, then compare to the motor max speed.

2 acceleration will depend on the torque and then force where the wheel meets the road...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook