Relation with counting volume of a solid revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral of the squared inverse function of a given function, specifically f(x)=x^3+x^5, and its relation to finding the volume of a solid revolution. The conversation also explores using the disk method and substitution to solve the problem.
b00tofuu

Homework Statement

let f(x)=x^3+x^5. Evaluate int((f(x)^-1)^2, x = 0 .. 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have a feeling that it has a relation with counting volume of a solid revolution.but i don't know how to answer it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi b00tofuu! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
b00tofuu said:
let f(x)=x^3+x^5. Evaluate int((f(x)^-1)^2, x = 0 .. 2)

Do you mean ∫02 1/(x3 + x5)2 dx ?

If so, factor it, and then use partial fractions.

no, it's not what i meant...
its the squared of the inverse function of (x^3+x^5).
a.the question first asked about the volume of solid revolution of a function y=f(x) bounded by y=b, and the y axis. the function crossed (0,0),(a,b) where a>0. i'vc got the answer
int(phi(f(y)^-1)^2, y = 0 .. b) by the disk method.
then the second point of the question is where i have the problem
b. let f(x)=x^3+x^5. Evaluate int((f(x)^-1)^2, x = 0 .. 2)

i think it's related to each other... but dunno...

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

ah, you meant ∫02 (f-1(x))2 dx.

ok, put y = x3 + x5, then that's …

∫y2 dx, so substitute (something)dy for dx, change the limits, and integrate over y. :smile:

What is the relation between the counting volume of a solid revolution and its shape?

The counting volume of a solid revolution is directly proportional to the shape of the solid. This means that if the shape of the solid changes, the counting volume will also change accordingly.

How is the counting volume of a solid revolution calculated?

The counting volume of a solid revolution is calculated by using the formula V = ∫A(x)dx, where V represents the counting volume, A(x) represents the cross-sectional area of the solid at a given height x, and dx represents an infinitely small thickness. This integral is evaluated over the entire height of the solid to get the total counting volume.

What are some real-life applications of counting volume of a solid revolution?

The concept of counting volume of a solid revolution is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to calculate the volume of objects with rotational symmetry, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. It is also applied in designing and analyzing structures like bridges, tunnels, and pipes.

What is the difference between counting volume and surface area of a solid revolution?

The counting volume of a solid revolution refers to the total volume of the solid, while the surface area refers to the total area of the exterior surface of the solid. While counting volume takes into account the entire volume of the solid, surface area only considers the outer surface. Additionally, counting volume is measured in cubic units, while surface area is measured in square units.

How does changing the axis of revolution affect the counting volume of a solid revolution?

The counting volume of a solid revolution is dependent on the axis of revolution. If the axis of revolution is changed, the shape of the solid will also change, resulting in a different counting volume. For example, rotating a rectangle about its longer side will result in a different counting volume compared to rotating it about its shorter side.