Relations, Set Theory, Reflexive, Symmetric, Transitive

In summary: C". "Intransitive" here means "for all x in X, there is no y in A such that x\in y". "Asymmetric" means "for all y in A there is no x in B such that y\in x". "Antisymmetric" means "for all x in B there is no y in A such that x\in y". "Symmetric" means "for all x in A there is y in B such that x=y". "Nonrelfexive" means "not reflexive, nonsymmetric, transitive, and Antisymetric". "
Cabinbreaker

Homework Statement

Determine whether the relations on three sets are Reflexive, Irrelfexive, Symmetric,, Asymmetric, Antisymmetric, Transitive, and Intransitive.

The relation [itex]\subseteq[/itex] on a set of sets.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble figuring out how this will work. I think for the set {{a},{b},{c}} that should mean

<{a} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<{b} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<{{a},{b}} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<{{a},{b},{c}} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<∅ , {{a},{b},{c}}>

But I do not know how to use this to answer the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Cabinbreaker! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, you don't need those extra {} round most of your letters :wink:)
Cabinbreaker said:
Determine whether the relations on three sets are Reflexive, Irrelfexive, Symmetric,, Asymmetric, Antisymmetric, Transitive, and Intransitive.

eg reflexive means: if {a,b} then {b,a}

transitive means: if {a,b} and {b,c} then {a,c} :smile:

Then on the relation ⊆ on a set of sets (considering the set {{a},{b},{c}}), relations should be nonrelfexive, nonsymmetric, transitive, and Antisymetric.

Relations are not irreflexive or intransitive.

I think they are also not asymmetric because of <{{a},{b},{c}} , {{a},{b},{c}}> where xRy ⇒ ¬yRx ?

Cabinbreaker said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am having trouble figuring out how this will work. I think for the set {{a},{b},{c}} that should mean

<{a} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<{b} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<∅ , {{a},{b},{c}}>

What you've written doesn't make much sense to me. Either I'm not understanding the question or you've misinterpreted it.

Here's my take:

You have S={{a}, {b}, {c}}, which is a set of sets, and let ##x, y \in S##. You say x is related to y if ##x\subset y##. For example, say x={a} and y={b}. It's not true that ##\{a\} \subseteq \{b\}##, so you would not say that {a} is related to {b}.

In general, a relation R is a subset of S×S. In this case, S×S contains the nine ordered pairs

{{a}, {a}}
{{a}, {b}}
{{a}, {c}}
{{b}, {a}}
{{b}, {b}}
{{b}, {c}}
{{c}, {a}}
{{c}, {b}}
{{c}, {c}}

So those are the pairs you should be considering whereas you seem to be considering the power set of S. Can you state the problem exactly as given to you?

The Problem says:

Determine whether the relations on three sets are Reflexive, Irrelfexive, Symmetric, Asymmetric, Antisymmetric, Transitive, and Intransitive.

3) The relation ⊆ on a set of sets.

My difficulty is I do not understand the question. I was able to complete the first two. I do not know what it means by "The relation ⊆ on a set of sets." I used the power set because I thought where A ⊆ B it was asking for the ordered pair {A,B}.

The set {{a}, {b}, {c}} is already a set of sets. That is, the elements of the set are sets themselves. You have to have a set of sets otherwise the relation ##\subseteq## doesn't make sense. For instance, if you have the set {a, b, c}, then you might ask if ##a \subseteq b##, which doesn't make sense because neither a nor b is a set. On the other hand, with the set {{a}, {b}, {c}}, one element is the set {a} and another is the set {b}, and it does make sense to ask if ##\{a\} \subseteq \{b\}##.

I enumerated the nine ordered pairs in S×S. What you want to do first is determine if the first set in each pair is a subset of the second set in the pair. Then you want to determine if the relation is reflexive, etc. If the relation is reflexive, you should find that every pair of the form {{x}, {x}} satisfies the relation. And so on.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Cabinbreaker! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, you don't need those extra {} round most of your letters :wink:)

eg reflexive means: if {a,b} then {b,a}
This is "symmetric", not "reflexive". A relation on set X is "reflexive" if an only if it contains {x,x} for every x in X.

transitive means: if {a,b} and {b,c} then {a,c} :smile:

Cabinbreaker said:

Homework Statement

Then you do NOT want to look at a specific set as you do below.
A relation on a given set is a collection of ordered pairs from that set. If we are given a set, X, A and B are two subsets the the pair (A, B) will be in the relation if and only if [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex].

"Reflexive" here means that for any subset, A, of X, it is true that [itex]A\subseteq A[/itex] which is true because of the "=" part.
"Irreflexive" simply means "not reflexive".

"Transitive" here means "if [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] and [itex]B\subseteq C[/itex] then [itex]A\subseteq C[/itex]".

"Intransitive" simply means "not transitive".

"Symmetric" here means "if [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] then [itex]B\subseteq A[/itex]". Of course, that is not true.

"Asymmetric" simply means "not symmetric".

"Anti-symmetric" is a little more complicated. It means "if [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] then it is NOT true that [itex]B\subseteq A[/itex]. Here that is not true because of the "=" part.

Homework Equations

<{a} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<{b} , {{a},{b},{c}}>
<∅ , {{a},{b},{c}}>

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as computer science, physics, and linguistics.

What are relations in mathematics?

Relations in mathematics refer to the connections or associations between two or more objects or elements. They can be represented as ordered pairs, sets, or graphs.

What is a reflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is a type of relation where every element is related to itself. In other words, for every element a in the set, (a,a) is an ordered pair in the relation. For example, the relation "is equal to" is reflexive as every element is equal to itself.

What is a symmetric relation?

A symmetric relation is a type of relation where if (a,b) is in the relation, then (b,a) is also in the relation. In other words, the order of the elements does not matter in a symmetric relation. An example of a symmetric relation is "is parallel to".

What is a transitive relation?

A transitive relation is a type of relation where if (a,b) and (b,c) are in the relation, then (a,c) is also in the relation. In other words, if there is a connection between two elements, there is also a connection between the first and third element in a transitive relation. An example of a transitive relation is "is a subset of".