Relationship Between Solubility and Reactivity

In summary: Mg and Cl have the same atomic mass but they have different charges. So, the more Charges an atom has, the more it will pull on the electrons in other atoms. This makes the atom more reactive and able to break down molecules more easily.
pzona
I just want to make sure I have this right. I know the general solubility rules (i.e. nitrates are highly soluble, hydroxides aren't, etc.), but I'm not completely sure how to compare the solubilities of two salts of the same anion. I'm pretty sure that the salt with the more reactive ion attached to it will be more soluble, since higher reactivity means lower energy required to break the ionic bond between the two ions. For example, if the two salts are KOH and Ca(OH)2, KOH should be more soluble because K is more reactive than Ca. Would this be a fair generalization of the degree of solubility?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it would be a useful system for ranking solubilities. I haven't really thought about it but there are likely many exceptions to such a rule. Kind of reminds me of the hard and soft acids/bases arguments I've heard.

I looked into this a little more and found a better rule. Solubility largely depends on the relative sizes of the atoms and the magnitude of their charges. But if there are two compounds, one with similar sizes but small charges, LiF for example, and one with slightly dissimilar ionic sizes but larger charges, such as CaO, what determines solubility? Is charge more important, since it is muliplicative? I assume that in this case, LiF would have the weaker bond because of the smaller charges, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

As a first order estimation, you would look at the likelyhood of the solvent forming some type of association with the solute. In water that is mainly hydrogen bonding. Ions tend to form more stable associations with water (not necessarily by hydrogen bonding) than do intact molecules. Using your LiF vs CaO (really CaOH2 in water) as an example, you would examine the likelyhood that LiF would dissociate vs CaOH2. The reactivity of lithium vs calcium might suggest which would be more likely to dissociate but I leave that for you to determine. Comparing Group I vs. Group II ions in this way might not be as helpful as learning Group trends by themselves.

Sorry, that was a bad example, I forgot about oxides forming hydroxides in solution. Obviously LiF will be more soluble in this case because of the lithium ion and the hydrogen bonding between F and H2O.

What if the two ions to be compared were MgCl2 and NaCl? Would NaCl be more soluble because Na and Cl are both singly charged, or is there another reason as well?

MgCl2 is soluble at a rate of 56g per 100 mL water. NaCl is soluble at a rate of 36g per 100 mL water. Which is more soluble? The MgCl2 solution will be 0.59M and the NaCl will be roughly 0.62M. How might atomic mass skew these relationships?

Related to Relationship Between Solubility and Reactivity

1. What is the relationship between solubility and reactivity?

The relationship between solubility and reactivity refers to how the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent affects its ability to undergo a chemical reaction. Generally, substances that are more soluble in a solvent are more reactive, as they are better able to interact with other substances in the solution.

2. How does solubility affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Solubility can have a significant impact on the rate of a chemical reaction. A substance that is more soluble in a solvent will have a larger surface area available for reaction, increasing the chances of successful collisions with other reactants. This can lead to a faster reaction rate compared to a less soluble substance.

3. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between solubility and reactivity?

While generally, a higher solubility leads to a higher reactivity, there are some exceptions. For example, some substances may have a high solubility but are relatively unreactive due to their molecular structure or the presence of stabilizing factors. Additionally, some substances may have low solubility but still be highly reactive.

4. Can the solubility of a substance be used to predict its reactivity?

While solubility can provide insight into the reactivity of a substance, it cannot be used as the sole predictor. Other factors such as temperature, concentration, and presence of catalysts must also be taken into account. Additionally, the specific reaction and reaction conditions can also affect the reactivity of a substance.

5. How can the relationship between solubility and reactivity be utilized in practical applications?

The relationship between solubility and reactivity is important in various fields, such as in pharmaceuticals, where the solubility of a drug can affect its absorption and effectiveness in the body. It can also be utilized in chemical reactions, where adjusting the solubility of a substance can impact the reaction rate and efficiency. Understanding this relationship can also aid in the development of new products and processes.