Relative energy of simple 2 particle system (confused )

In summary, the energy of a simple 2 particle system is dependent on the reference frame used. The particle with the smaller mass will have a greater total energy if viewed from the reference frame of the larger mass, and vice versa. This is due to the principle of relativity, where energy is viewed differently depending on the reference frame. However, the first law of thermodynamics still applies and energy is not created or destroyed in this system.
Jonnyb42
Relative energy of simple 2 particle system (confused!)

Ok so I have a simple question which I feel I should know the answer to:

Setup:
Two particles of different mass.. say M and m (where M > m) are moving past each other by some constant velocity. If we view the energy of the system from m.. or fix our reference on m, we observe some energy of the total system.

Why is the energy of the system dependent on which particle we use as reference??
Shouldn't the energy of the system be the same regardless of reference frame?

(What I mean is, the energy is the total potential, plus the kinetic of the one that is moving. This energy is greater for the smaller mass, because it sees M moving with K = 1/2 M v^2, while the mass M sees m moving with K = 1/2 m v^2)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Physics homework questions should be posted to the physics homework forum.

..this isn't a physics homework question.. just a wonder of mine

If your reference is attached to m, than that means you see the particle M traveling with kinetic energy 1/2Mv^2 while particle m has zero velocity, relative to M. If you were attached to M, than you would see the opposite. You would see kinetic energy 1/2mv^2. It's all relative brotha. I think you're being confused with the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. In this case it isn't. You're simply viewing energy from different perspectives.

Although, if you were an observer at rest watching the system of two particles traveling in opposite directions with M>m at constant velocity, what would you see?

1. What is a simple 2 particle system?

A simple 2 particle system refers to a scenario where there are only two particles interacting with each other, with no other external forces or particles present.

2. How is the relative energy of a simple 2 particle system calculated?

The relative energy of a simple 2 particle system is calculated using the formula E = (m1m2)/(r^2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two particles and r is the distance between them.

3. Can the relative energy of a simple 2 particle system be negative?

Yes, the relative energy of a simple 2 particle system can be negative if the two particles are attracted to each other, resulting in a decrease in their energy.

4. How does the distance between the two particles affect the relative energy of a simple 2 particle system?

The distance between the two particles has an inverse relationship with the relative energy. As the distance decreases, the relative energy increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple 2 particle systems?

Some real-life examples of simple 2 particle systems include an electron orbiting a nucleus in an atom, two planets orbiting each other, or two charged particles interacting in an electric field.