1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative motion on a conveyor belt

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Belt A conveys sand with a velocity of 6.0 ft/s (constant). The velocity of belt B is 8 ft/s (constant). Determine the velocity of the sand relative to B as it lands on belt B. Answer: VS/B=20.1 ft/s at 85.1 degrees

conveyor%20belt.jpg

2. Relevant equations

VS/B = VS-VB
    (Velocity of sand relative to belt B = velocity of sand as it hits belt B - velocity of belt B)

3. The attempt at a solution

VB=8cos(15°)+8sin(15°) = -7.727[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+2.071[tex]\hat{j}[/tex](ft/s)

My trouble is with finding VS. I know that on the horizontal section of belt A, the sand's velocity (VS) is -6[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+0[tex]\hat{j}[/tex](ft/s).

When the sand hits the bend where belt A is not horizontal anymore, but starts to bend into belt B, the velocity of the sand changes.

I think I'm stuck on the trig of what the angle is and how the 5ft contributes to finding the correct angle that the sand runs into belt B.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2010 #2
    when the sand leaves the belt A, its in free fall. use projectile motion analysis to find
    the velocity 5 ft below, when it hits belt B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook