Relative velocity and acceleration on rotating axis

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given a package on a conveyor belt running at a constant veloctiy of 1.5m/s, 1.8m away from the origin. the conveyor belt is rotating origin as a pivot at angular velocity 6 rad/s. it rotates on z axis. calculate the relative velocity of the package from origin (Vp/0) and V absolute. calculate also the relative acceleration (A p/0) and absolute accelearation

2. Relevant equations
    Vp = Vo + Vp/o...<---Vo = 0 since origin, thus Vp/0 = Vp..
    Vp = Vo + (w x r)...(angular velocity x distance)..(but angular velocity of conveyor belt is not given)..
    what is absolute velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
    usually i use the formula Vp = w x r (angular velocity cross product r (distance)

i am confused of how and which formula to use to solve this question. please help me
  2. jcsd
  3. gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi azula.ozai, welcome to Physics Forums.

It's not entirely clear (to me :smile:) from the description what the conveyor belt geometry is. Is it a planar ring-shaped belt circling the origin (sort of like a turning Compact Disk)?
  4. oh sorry's like the conveyor belt in the airport. or in the grocery counter..but is rotate about point 'o' on z axis (weird..but yeah). it's 45 degree above horizontal y axis. sorry i'm not able to attach the question here. and at the same time the belt moves with contant v of 1.5 m/s. the pacakge on the conv. belt is 1.8m away from origin. so it's gonna have it's z and y component.
  5. gneill

Staff: Mentor

So the conveyor is something like the one depicted in the attached figure, only it's overhead view would be circular?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?