Relative velocity and conservation of linear momentum

In summary, the problem involves a rocket case and payload capsule traveling at a speed of 7600m/s and clamped together. When the clamp is released, a compressed spring causes the two parts to separate with a relative speed of 910m/s. Using the Galilean transformation for velocity and the conservation of momentum, the speeds of the rocket case and payload can be determined to be 8200m/s and -7300m/s respectively. Alternatively, treating the interaction in the centre of momentum (COM) frame and then transforming back to the lab frame, the correct speeds of 8200m/s and -7300m/s can also be obtained.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

The last stage of a rocket, which is traveling at a speed of 7600m/s, consists of two parts that are clamped together: a rocket case with a mass of 290.0 kg and a payload capsule with a mass of 150.0kg. When the clamp is released, a compressed spring causes the two parts to separate with a relative speed of 910.0m/s. What are the speeds of
(a) the rocket case and
(b) the payload after they have separated? Assume that all velocities are along the same line.

Homework Equations

m1V1i + m2V2i = m1V1f + m2V2f

Vac = Vpc + Vap
Subscripts being ac=case velocity according to A, pc=relative velocity between case and payload, ap=velocity of payload according to A

The Attempt at a Solution

Howdy folks, I hope I haven't botched the equation writing part, being a newcomer here.

I took the perspective of an observer, A, and used the Galilean transformation for velocity which resulted in

Vac = 910 + Vap

Then with the conservation of momentum:

150Vap + 290Vac = 440(7600), 440kg being the total mass.

Solving for the case's velocity gave an answer of 7910m/s with the correct answer being 8200m/s. I noticed that dividing the relative speed of 910m/s in the same ratio as the masses gives the correct answer. Two attempts at the problem without success so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those simultaneous equations look correct to me. Can you show your work solving them?

An important method for dealing with this sort of problem is to treat the interaction in the centre of momentum (COM) frame. Then when you have that figured out, transform the whole thing back to the lab frame.

In the lab frame here, the whole system starts as one "lump" moving at 7600 m/s. The COM frame starts with the whole system as a lump at rest. You should be able to very easily figure out what happens to this system if it starts as one lump at rest and splits as described. Then just add the 7600 m/s back on to get what happens in the lab frame.

jbriggs444 said:
Those simultaneous equations look correct to me. Can you show your work solving them?

150VAP + 290VAC = 440(7600)

VAP = (440(7600) - 290VAC)/150

Substituting yields VAC = 910 + (440(7600) - 290VAC)/150

150VAC = 910(150) + 440(7600) - 290VAC

VAC = (910(150) + 440(7600))/440

VAC = 7910m/s

Lord Anoobis said:
I took the perspective of an observer, A, and used the Galilean transformation for velocity which resulted in

Vac = 910 + Vap
Try assuming that the payload goes forward and the capsule goes backwards (relatively).

DEvens said:
An important method for dealing with this sort of problem is to treat the interaction in the centre of momentum (COM) frame. Then when you have that figured out, transform the whole thing back to the lab frame.

In the lab frame here, the whole system starts as one "lump" moving at 7600 m/s. The COM frame starts with the whole system as a lump at rest. You should be able to very easily figure out what happens to this system if it starts as one lump at rest and splits as described. Then just add the 7600 m/s back on to get what happens in the lab frame.

With this in mind and the fact that the total momentum after the spring action must be zero, I get

290VC = 150VP, ignoring signs for now. This then means that the velocity the spring imparts to each must be 910m/s divided into an opposite ratio, so to speak. Obviously one or the other must then be a negative quantity and adding the 7600m/s yields the correct answer. Am I correct in thinking about it this way?

Lord Anoobis said:
With this in mind and the fact that the total momentum after the spring action must be zero, I get

290VC = 150VP, ignoring signs for now. This then means that the velocity the spring imparts to each must be 910m/s divided into an opposite ratio, so to speak. Obviously one or the other must then be a negative quantity and adding the 7600m/s yields the correct answer. Am I correct in thinking about it this way?
That's fine and equivalent to my comment earlier.

Your analysis was fine as well. But you assumed that the capsule went forward and payload backward. Reverse that assumption and you'll get the answers you need. (Don't give up on your original analysis!)

Doc Al said:
That's fine and equivalent to my comment earlier.

Your analysis was fine as well. But you assumed that the capsule went forward and payload backward. Reverse that assumption and you'll get the answers you need. (Don't give up on your original analysis!)

I see what you mean and the correct answers have indeed appeared. I actually thought the entire calculation was a complete balls-up but a single sign change makes all the difference. Many thanks.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by taking the difference between the velocities of two objects and considering their direction of motion. This can be represented mathematically as vrel = vA - vB, where vA is the velocity of object A and vB is the velocity of object B.

3. What is conservation of linear momentum?

Conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system with no external forces acting on it, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

4. How is conservation of linear momentum related to relative velocity?

Conservation of linear momentum is related to relative velocity in the sense that it applies to both objects involved in a collision or interaction. The total momentum of the system will remain constant, even if the individual velocities of the objects change as a result of the interaction.

5. Can relative velocity and conservation of linear momentum be applied to all types of collisions?

Yes, relative velocity and conservation of linear momentum can be applied to all types of collisions, as long as the system is closed and there are no external forces acting on it. This includes elastic and inelastic collisions, as well as oblique and head-on collisions.