1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity Derivation from Maxwell-Boltzmann

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I have a specific question about the derivation of the relative velocity between two molecules A and B from the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution (which should equal square root of 2 times the average velocity).
    In equations, I have been evaluating this integral:

\begin{eqnarray*}
    c_r&=&\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}v_rP(v_{Ax},v_{Ay},v_{Az})dv_{Ax}dv_{Ay}dv_{Az}P(v_{Bx},v_{By},v_{Bz})dv_{Bx}dv_{By}dv_{Bz}\\
    \ c_r&=&\bigg(\frac{m_A}{2\pi kT}\bigg)^{3/2}\bigg(\frac{m_B}{2\pi kT}\bigg)^{3/2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\ldots\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}v_rdv_{Ax}...dv{_Bz}e^{-(m_A(v_{Ax}^2+v_{Ay}^2+v_{Az}^2)+m_B(v_{Bx}^2+v_{By}^2+v_{Bz}^2))/(2k_BT)}
    \end{eqnarray*}

I have transformed to relative and center-of-mass velocity coordinates using these relations:
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    \ v_{ri}&=&v_{Ai}-v_{Bi}\\
    \ v_{ci}&=&\frac{m_Av_{Ai}+m_Bv_{Bi}}{m_A+m_B}
    \end{eqnarray*}

But now I cannot seem to prove that
    \begin{equation*}
    \ dv_{Ai}dv_{Bi} = dv_{ri}dv_{ci}\
    \end{equation*}
    (to transform the Cartesian differentials to center-of-mass differentials).

I have started like this ..
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    \ dv_{Ai}dv_{Bi}&=&\bigg(dv_{ci}+\frac{m_B}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}\bigg)\bigg(dv_{ci}-\frac{m_A}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}\bigg)\\
    \ dv_{ri}dv_{ci}&\stackrel{?}{=}& dv_{ci}^2+\frac{m_B-m_A}{m_A+m_B}dv_{ri}dv_{ci}-\frac{m_Am_B}{(m_A+m_B)^2}dv_{ri}^2
    \end{eqnarray*}

But do not end up with the final line actually being equal. If anyone has done this derivation before and has advice for converting the differentials I would be very, very grateful!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    When doing a change of coordinates with multiple variables, the way to find the general volume element [itex]dv_A dv_B[/itex] in terms of the new variables is the Jacobian determinant; you can look at what I am referring to here. What you are really looking for is,

[tex]
    dv_{r}dv_{c}= \begin{vmatrix}\frac{\partial v_r}{\partial v_A} & \frac{\partial v_r}{\partial v_B}\\ \frac{\partial v_c}{\partial v_A} & \frac{\partial v_c}{\partial v_B}\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix} 1 & -1 \\ \frac{m_A}{m_A +m_B} & \frac{m_B}{m_A+m_B}\end{vmatrix} = 1
    [/tex]

so it looks like this coordinate change does not affect the volume element.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    Excellent! Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook