1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocity problem with pulleys

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-1-10_10-58-42.png

2. Relevant equations
    Vb/a = Vb - Va

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got as far as realizing that the velocity of B depends on A so I wrote out:
    2(Xa) + (Xb/a)cos15 = constant

and took the derivative of that equation to get Vb/a = -16.56. I then got stuck as to how to get Vb.

Is Vb/a in the direction of the rope pulling on B and would Vb be in that direction too? Also since Vb/a is at an incline, how would i put it into the relative velocity equation to account for two velocities at incline?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    Have I missed something here? For every inch that block A descends along the ramp, block B is pulled by 1 inch. This is because the string is of constant length. So B has the same numerical acceleration and speed as A, but acting in the direction of the 15 degree angle as shown. (Velocity and acceleration must be defined in direction).

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3
    Well the key says that Vb should be 8.53 at an angle of 14.05 degrees on the block. Your explanation makes much more sense so I don't get why the book would say this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted