Shear and bending moment diagram problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a diagram and calculations for point loads at support points A and B. The person is unsure if a point load can be placed at support B and asks for clarification. The conversation ends with someone confirming that a point load can be placed at support B and offering a tip for solving the problem.
futureengineer

Homework Statement

I have attached a diagram

Homework Equations

14 + Va -32 + Vb -15=0??
or Vb=-15?

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason why I cannot attempt this problem is that I'm not sure whether it is valid that there can be a point load at Support B or whether they are implying that Vb=-15kN.

After I get Va and Vb I know what to do :)

This is the only issue I need to clarify.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
-Diagram

OOPS I forgot to attach diagram. Cheers

Attachments

• shearandbending.JPG
    shearandbending.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 468
futureengineer said:
OOPS I forgot to attach diagram. Cheers

You can have a point support load at B, but it's not equal to 15.

Chet

Yes you can have a point load over the reaction point. It just adds its value to that obtained from the other loads. In every case of calculating reactions, you should check it, for example by taking moments about a point not used in the original analysis. In that case you do not need help in answering the question.

As a scientist, it is important to thoroughly understand the problem before attempting a solution. In this case, it is unclear whether the diagram is meant to represent a point load at Support B or if Vb=-15kN. It would be helpful to clarify this with the person who provided the problem or to review any additional information that may be available. Once this clarification is made, you can proceed with solving the problem using the appropriate equations and techniques. It is important to always double check your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy in your solution.

1. What is a shear and bending moment diagram problem?

A shear and bending moment diagram problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing a structural member, such as a beam or column, for internal forces and moments caused by external loads. These diagrams are used to visualize the distribution of these forces and moments along the length of the member.

2. How do you draw a shear and bending moment diagram?

To draw a shear and bending moment diagram, you first need to determine the external loads acting on the member. Then, use equations of equilibrium and free-body diagrams to calculate the internal forces and moments at various points along the member. Plot these values on a graph, with shear force on the vertical axis and bending moment on the horizontal axis. Finally, connect the points with straight lines to create the diagrams.

3. What are the applications of shear and bending moment diagrams?

Shear and bending moment diagrams are used in structural analysis and design to ensure that a structural member can withstand the applied loads without failure. They are also helpful in determining the size and shape of structural members, as well as the location of points of maximum stress.

4. What is the difference between shear force and bending moment?

Shear force is the internal force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a member, while bending moment is the internal moment that causes a member to bend. In other words, shear force is the force that tries to cut the member, while bending moment is the force that tries to bend the member.

5. How do you analyze a shear and bending moment diagram problem?

To analyze a shear and bending moment diagram problem, you first need to identify the type of support and loading conditions of the member. Then, use the appropriate equations of equilibrium and free-body diagrams to calculate the internal forces and moments. Finally, plot these values on a graph and analyze the diagrams to determine the maximum values and locations of shear force and bending moment.