What is the solution for relative velocity of sliders?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the instant centre of rotations for AB and CD, with lengths of A -> ICab = 200mm and C -> ICcd = 300mm. The attempts at solving the problem involved using the equation Va = 0.2 + Vc and Vb = Vd, but there was a mistake in assuming Va and Vc to be positive in opposite directions. The correct answer is 0.0536m/s.
Jonski

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 6.08.41 PM.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Va = Va/c + Vc
Va = 0.2 + Vc
Vb = Vd

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by finding the instant centre of rotations of AB and CD. Both of these form a right angle triangle and the length of A -> ICab = 200mm and C -> ICcd = 300mm
Va/0.2 * 0.15 = Vb
Vc/0.3 * 0.125 = Vd
Va/0.2 * 0.15 = Vc/0.3 * 0.125
0.75*(0.2+Vc)=0.417(Vc)
Vc = -0.45
Vd = -0.1875m/s = Vb

The answer is 0.0536m/s, but I am not sure why taking the instant centre does not work. Did I mess anything up. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonski said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by finding the instant centre of rotations of AB and CD. Both of these form a right angle triangle and the length of A -> ICab = 200mm and C -> ICcd = 300mm
Va/0.2 * 0.15 = Vb
Vc/0.3 * 0.125 = Vd
Va/0.2 * 0.15 = Vc/0.3 * 0.125
0.75*(0.2+Vc)=0.417(Vc) ##~~~~##
Vc = -0.45
Vd = -0.1875m/s = Vb

The answer is 0.0536m/s, but I am not sure why taking the instant centre does not work. Did I mess anything up. Thanks in advance
I believe that your problem lies at the line indicated above. It appears to me that you've taken velocity Va to be positive to the right and Vc to be positive to the left. Then your Va + Vc = 0.2 and so Va = 0.2 - Vc.

gneill said:
I believe that your problem lies at the line indicated above. It appears to me that you've taken velocity Va to be positive to the right and Vc to be positive to the left. Then your Va + Vc = 0.2 and so Va = 0.2 - Vc.
Oh, thanks. I understand now

1. What is the relative velocity of sliders?

The relative velocity of sliders refers to the speed at which two objects are moving in relation to each other. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each object's velocity.

2. How is the relative velocity of sliders calculated?

The relative velocity of sliders is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one slider from the velocity of the other slider. This results in a vector representing the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What factors affect the relative velocity of sliders?

The relative velocity of sliders can be affected by factors such as the initial velocities of each slider, the direction of motion of each slider, and any external forces acting on the sliders.

4. Can the relative velocity of sliders be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of sliders can be negative if one slider is moving in the opposite direction of the other slider. This means that the two sliders are moving away from each other.

5. How is the concept of relative velocity of sliders applied in real life?

The concept of relative velocity of sliders is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects, such as in collision detection and calculating the speed of moving vehicles. It is also important in understanding the effects of wind on moving objects, such as airplanes and boats.