What is Relativistic Heat Force? Any Research Papers on This Topic?

In summary, the conversation is about the term 'relativistic heat force' and a paper discussing it. The term is not commonly used and there are only two references to it in a Google search. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about a possible error in the paper, specifically in the use of V_o dot gamma which implies an increase in volume with increase in velocity, which is the opposite of length contraction. However, it is later clarified that this is a typo and the correct expression is V=V_0 \gamma ^{-1}.
Frank Lampard
Can anyone explain me the term 'Relativistic heat force'?
Any research papers dealing with this topic??
Thanking in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
A Google search on "relativistic heat force", using quotes to keep the words together in that exact sequence, turns up exactly two hits, both of which refer to your posting. (Wow, is Google fast, or what? :bugeye:)

Perhaps it would help us if you can say where you saw this phrase, and what the context was. I don't claim to be an expert on current developments in relativity or thermodynamics, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen this phrase before.

I had found it in a paper called "Thermodynamics meets Special Relativity
– or what is real in Physics?" by Manfred Requardt.
Here's the link--arXiv:0801.2639v1 [gr-qc] 17 Jan 2008

The linked paper http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0801/0801.2639v1.pdf has something very odd in it. I hope someone can clear up what seems a very basic error in the paper.

In equation (2) the paper clearly states [tex] \gamma = (1-u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

In equation (7) the paper states [tex] m = m_o \cdot \gamma = m_o \cdot (1-u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

So far, this all very classic relativity but perhaps a bit old fashioned in using the relativistic mass increase concept. Nevetheless we note that by the expression m_o dot gamma they mean an increase of mass with increase of relative velocity.

Now just before equation (26) the paper states:

"Using the above expression for G, the fact that p is a Lorentz invariant, i.e. p = p0, and the change of volume by Lorentz contraction, [tex] V = V_o \cdot \gamma [/tex] , one can integrate the above expression and get.."

Now of course I am very happy that they assume that pressure is invariant as everyone here knows that is my belief, but by V_o dot gamma they must be implying an increase of volume with increase of relative velocity. Is that not the opposite of length contraction and therefore a mistake? Maybe it is me that missing something basic?

kev said:
The linked paper http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0801/0801.2639v1.pdf has something very odd in it. I hope someone can clear up what seems a very basic error in the paper.

In equation (2) the paper clearly states [tex] \gamma = (1-u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

In equation (7) the paper states [tex] m = m_o \cdot \gamma = m_o \cdot (1-u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

So far, this all very classic relativity but perhaps a bit old fashioned in using the relativistic mass increase concept. Nevetheless we note that by the expression m_o dot gamma they mean an increase of mass with increase of relative velocity.

Now just before equation (26) the paper states:

"Using the above expression for G, the fact that p is a Lorentz invariant, i.e. p = p0, and the change of volume by Lorentz contraction, [tex] V = V_o \cdot \gamma [/tex] , one can integrate the above expression and get.."

Now of course I am very happy that they assume that pressure is invariant as everyone here knows that is my belief, but by V_o dot gamma they must be implying an increase of volume with increase of relative velocity. Is that not the opposite of length contraction and therefore a mistake? Maybe it is me that missing something basic?

It's a typo. The authors use [tex]V=V_0 \gamma ^{-1}[/tex] a few lines below in eq (28).

1effect said:
It's a typo. The authors use [tex]V=V_0 \gamma ^{-1}[/tex] a few lines below in eq (28).

Thanks! The typo really threw me :P

1. What is relativistic heat force?

Relativistic heat force is a concept in physics that describes the force exerted on an object due to the transfer of heat energy. It takes into account the effects of relativity, specifically time dilation and length contraction, on the movement of particles.

2. How is relativistic heat force different from regular heat force?

Relativistic heat force takes into account the effects of relativity, while regular heat force does not. This means that relativistic heat force can accurately describe the behavior of particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light, while regular heat force cannot.

3. What are the applications of relativistic heat force?

Relativistic heat force has applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle accelerators. It helps us understand the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in the core of a star or in high-energy collisions.

4. How is relativistic heat force calculated?

Relativistic heat force is calculated using the formula F = γq(c-v), where F is the force, γ is the Lorentz factor, q is the heat energy transferred, c is the speed of light, and v is the speed of the object. This formula takes into account the effects of relativity on the movement of particles.

5. Can relativistic heat force be observed in everyday life?

No, relativistic heat force is typically observed in extreme conditions, such as in high-energy particle collisions or in the cores of stars. In everyday life, the effects of relativity on heat transfer are negligible and can be ignored.