What is the equation for finding the energy of a photon in a Σ0 decay?

In summary, the sigma baryon Σ0 at rest decays into an Λ0 and a ɣ photon, with the mass of Σ0 being 1193 MeV/c^2 and Λ0 being 1116 MeV/c^2. The momentum is conserved as the two particles move in opposite directions. The Λ0 gains kinetic energy from the Σ0's rest mass, while the photon has no mass and its energy is equal to its momentum. To find the energy of the photon and the total energy of the Λ0, an equation is needed to determine how much of the shared 77 MeV/c^2 goes to each particle.
Unto

Homework Statement

The sigma Baryon Σ0 is at rest and decays to form an Λ0 and a ɣ photon.

Homework Equations

Mass of Σ0 is 1193 MeV/c^2
Mass of Λ0 is 1116 MeV/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

K obviously since the Σ0 is at rest, momentum must be conserved and the Λ0 and ɣ go in completely opposite directions to each other.

Since the Σ0 weighs more than the Λ0, I can assume it's rest mass go towards the rest mass of the Λ0 and provides kinetic energy for the Λ0.. Also giving energy out as the ɣ.

But the ɣ has no mass. So it's energy is it's momentum. But I've forgotten how to account for that. What equations do I use to found out how much energy the photon has.

The only thing I have going is that 77MeV/c^2 is shared between the kinetic energy of the Λ0 and the total energy of the ɣ photon, but I don't know how to work out HOW MUCH is shared between them.

Please help lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry forgot some of the question:

Find the energy of the Photon and the Total Energy of the Λ0

Bump?

I'm sure this will take you guys under a minute when compared to the other questions here. I just want an equation or a push in the right direction thanks.

What is Relativistic Kinematics?

Relativistic Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers.

How is Relativistic Kinematics different from Classical Kinematics?

Relativistic Kinematics takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not present in classical kinematics. It also uses a different set of equations, known as the Lorentz transformations, to describe the motion of objects at high speeds.

What are some real-world applications of Relativistic Kinematics?

Relativistic Kinematics is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on the precise measurement of time and distance at high speeds.

What is the equation for calculating relativistic velocity?

The equation for calculating relativistic velocity is v = c * (1 - (v2 / c2))-1/2, where c is the speed of light and v is the velocity of the object.

How does Relativistic Kinematics affect our understanding of space and time?

Relativistic Kinematics shows that space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also predicts phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which challenge our traditional understanding of these concepts.