How does relativity impact our everyday lives beyond GPS and nuclear energy?

• B
  • Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    relativity
In summary: This was based on Einsein's work as a quantum pioneer, very little to do with relativity (yes, EM radiation is involved, but the distinctive feature is quantum. Einstein remained a significant contributor to quantum theory (despite misgivings about the way it was formulated) till about... 1919?)
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'd like to have some opinions here.
A friend of mine says, "From Newton , we got car, airplane, rocket, etc. From Einstein, we got sci fi movies".
Einstein Newton.JPG

Okayy, forget him :smile:
Now, what I want to know is, what relativity has direct impact in our everyday life?
There are two things that I know
1. GPS. Is GPS really depend on relativity? I heard that the clock synchronization is not trivia.
2. Nuclear energy.
Are there anything else?
Air conditioner?
Television?
Electric shaver?
Just any everyday devices, not just
"Oh, you see that rocket. Its clock is slowing down by half of our clock, so it rocket must have traveled at 0.866c"

Not that I like Isaac more then Albert.
I know that Einstein got noble price not by relativity but by photoelectric. I'm not asking what photoelectric has to do with our everyday life, but what relativity especially has got to do with our everyday life? (And by that I don't mean Special Relativity ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything related to electromagnetism, including optics, is ruled by Maxwell's equations and thus is relativistic. It's the paradigmatic example for a relativistic field theory.

Likes Stephanus and weirdoguy
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
I'd like to have some opinions here.
A friend of mine says, "From Newton , we got car, airplane, rocket, etc. From Einstein, we got sci fi movies".
View attachment 100475
Okayy, forget him :smile:
Still worth noting that human carrying car, airplane, rocket were introduced much longer after Newton, than has passed now since Einstein.

Likes Stephanus
A.T. said:
Still worth noting that human carrying car, airplane, rocket were introduced much longer after Newton, than has passed now since Einstein.
Okayyy,
Ford, 1908?
Kittyhawk, 1903.
V2, 1940s, if we can call V2 a rocket, which it was although Goddard had preceded it.
Relativity, 1905
GR, 1915.
vanhees71 said:
Everything related to electromagnetism, including optics, is ruled by Maxwell's equations and thus is relativistic. It's the paradigmatic example for a relativistic field theory.
Yeah, I've watched Derek Muller in Youtube, he explains that magnetism in a wire is caused by relativity, because there are more electron in one side of the wire, because of length contraction? Even if I haven't fully understood what he taught.
Thanks.

Both relativities are required in GPS systems. Corrections are made due to relative satellite speed (special relativity) and due to gravitational effects (general relativity).

Paul Colby said:
Both relativities are required in GPS systems. Corrections are made due to relative satellite speed (special relativity) and due to gravitational effects (general relativity).
Yes, I have read that. But is the correction significantly necessary?

Stephanus said:
Yes, if you want accurate GPS.
If you can tolerate being off by kilometers, then you might not regard it as necessary.

http://physicscentral.com/explore/writers/will.cfm

Likes Paul Colby
Stephanus said:
It certainly is if you want to choose which restroom stall to hit with your ICBM or measure continental drift to centimeter accuracy. How far off would you be for each correction I don't know off hand. For GR the clock rate correction has to be on the order of one part in ##10^6## which is the rough order of magnitude of the metric deviation at sea level. That sounds significant to me.

Likes Stephanus
Paul Colby said:
It certainly is if you want to choose which restroom stall to hit with your ICBM or measure continental drift to centimeter accuracy. How far off would you be for each correction I don't know off hand. For GR the clock rate correction has to be on the order of one part in ##10^6## which is the rough order of magnitude of the metric deviation at sea level. That sounds significant to me.
Centimeter? I thought it would be kilometers accuracy that is corrected by the clock synchronization.
But centimeter is good for continental drift.
Hell, you can miss 100 meters from ground zero cafe with a 15 kilo ton bomb in still destroyed capitol hill.
[Edit: And it can still destroy Capitol Hill]

Last edited:
Stephanus said:
Centimeter? I thought it would be kilometers accuracy that is corrected by the clock synchronization.
But centimeter is good for continental drift.
Hell, you can miss 100 meters from ground zero cafe with a 15 kilo ton bomb in still destroyed capitol hill.
Centimeter accuracy takes special antennas and likely GPS hardware. One sees these 12"ish diameter half dome things on tripods along the side of the freeways out here in CA. They are real concerned with ground movement because the state is so faulty.

[Mentor's note: A bit of entertaining but off-topic political snark has been removed from this post]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Stephanus
Lasers are based on stimulated emission, first described by Einstein (1905?).

mathman said:
Lasers are based on stimulated emission, first described by Einstein (1905?).
This was based on Einsein's work as a quantum pioneer, very little to do with relativity (yes, EM radiation is involved, but the distinctive feature is quantum. Einstein remained a significant contributor to quantum theory (despite misgivings about the way it was formulated) till about 1935.

Likes Stephanus
Well, I'd like to grouse a bit about the original observations.

While we can certainly understand cars, airplanes, etc from Newtonian point of view, it doesn't "give them to us". And there are plenty of relativistic phenomenon that are easily observable with significant effects that are not science fiction - man made (such as various particle accelerators) and otherwise. And that's not counting the sensitivity of modern instruments, which can detect relativistic effects in everyday motion - it's not really exotic anymore.

As far as practical applications of relativity, our standard of distance, the meter, is and has been based on relativity for some time now. For details, just look at the SI definition of the meter.

End grousing, it's probably pointless...

Likes Stephanus
Yes @pervect
I just want to tell it to his face, but it seemed that I can't recall anything other than GPS then. And as I typed this thread something just came up on my mind. "Nuclear power".
And as @A.T. and you say. Rocket and car were introduced 200 years after gravity.
Btw, it's only 35 years from SR (1905) to Manhattan Project (1940) and 40 years to Little Boy (1945).

Well Stephanus whole areas of technology are owed to Einstein.

Stephanus said:
Are there anything else?
Air conditioner?

One such item IS the Air Conditioner, so to speak. Einstein invented a refrigerator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

He also won his Noble prize for his explanation of the photovoltaic effect (solar cells).

Likes Stephanus

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory of relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in non-accelerating frames of reference, while the general theory of relativity explains the effects of gravity on the shape of space and the flow of time.

2. How does relativity apply to everyday life?

Relativity has numerous practical applications in everyday life. For example, the global positioning system (GPS) uses the principles of relativity to accurately determine the position and time on Earth. Additionally, the theory of relativity has been used to develop technologies such as atomic clocks, which are crucial for navigation and communication systems.

3. What is the equation E=mc² and how does it relate to relativity?

The equation E=mc², also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity. It states that energy (E) is equal to an object's mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c²). This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

4. What evidence supports the theory of relativity?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the theory of relativity. One of the most well-known pieces of evidence is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, which was observed during a solar eclipse in 1919. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, is a direct result of Einstein's general theory of relativity. Additionally, numerous experiments have been conducted to test the predictions of relativity, and they have all confirmed its validity.

5. Can the theory of relativity be proven?

The theory of relativity is a well-established and extensively tested scientific theory, but it cannot be proven in the same way that a mathematical equation can be proven. Instead, the theory is constantly being refined and improved as new evidence and technology become available. However, the overwhelming amount of evidence in support of relativity makes it widely accepted as the most accurate and comprehensive explanation of the relationship between space, time, and gravity.