Solving Polynomial Remainders

In summary: Synthetic division is just a streamlined form of the long division algorithm. It does exactly they same thing as long division but omits writing a lot of powers of x. It's not in any way a different thing. There's no need to decide which to use. Use synthetic division if you remember how to do it. Otherwise long division will give you the same answer.thanks, Dick!
Ambushes

Homework Statement

Find each remainder:

a. (x^3 + 5x^2 - 7x + 1) ÷ (x+2)(x-1)b. (2x^3 + x^2 - 4x - 2) ÷ (x^2 + 4x + 3)

Homework Equations

N/A. (We've used Long Division and Synthetic Division for previous questions.)

The Attempt at a Solution

How would i go about solving these? I'm pretty stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ambushes! :smile:

Why can't you use long division?​

tiny-tim said:
Hi Ambushes! :smile:

Why can't you use long division?​

I've never done long division with two binomials/zero's before, usually it's only one like (x+2), etc.
What do i have to do differently?

Thanks for the help!

Ambushes said:
… usually it's only one like (x+2), etc.
What do i have to do differently?

nothing!

it's only like the difference between "ordinary" long division by 2 and by 23 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
nothing!

it's only like the difference between "ordinary" long division by 2 and by 23 :wink:

Haha, wasn't as hard as i thought. Got the right answer =).
If you don't mind, i have one more question. It's probably really easy, but how do i know when to use Synthetic Division, and when to use Long Division?

Ambushes said:
… how do i know when to use Synthetic Division, and when to use Long Division?

hmm … I've never come across synthetic division before :redface:

i had a quick look at it on wikipedia, and my impression is that long division would always be easier, and less likely to lead to mistakes

does anyone who's actually used it want to chip in? :smile:

For 1 a, why not multiply the two divisor terms to produce a product of a single polynomial (x^2 + ...) and then continue using long division?

tiny-tim said:
hmm … I've never come across synthetic division before :redface:

i had a quick look at it on wikipedia, and my impression is that long division would always be easier, and less likely to lead to mistakes

does anyone who's actually used it want to chip in? :smile:

Synthetic division is just a streamlined form of the long division algorithm. It does exactly they same thing as long division but omits writing a lot of powers of x. It's not in any way a different thing. There's no need to decide which to use. Use synthetic division if you remember how to do it. Otherwise long division will give you the same answer.

Last edited:
thanks, Dick! :smile:

What is the Remainder Theorem?

The Remainder Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that when a polynomial function is divided by a linear function, the remainder will equal the value of the function at the given input.

How is the Remainder Theorem used in solving polynomial equations?

The Remainder Theorem can be used to determine the remainder when a polynomial is divided by a linear function. This remainder can then be used to solve the equation and find the roots of the polynomial.

What is the difference between the Remainder Theorem and the Factor Theorem?

The Remainder Theorem deals with finding the remainder when a polynomial is divided by a linear function, while the Factor Theorem deals with finding the factors of a polynomial. However, both theorems are related and can be used together in solving polynomial equations.

Can the Remainder Theorem be used for any type of polynomial?

Yes, the Remainder Theorem can be used for any type of polynomial as long as it is divided by a linear function. This includes polynomials with both real and complex coefficients.

Is there a formula for the Remainder Theorem?

Yes, the formula for the Remainder Theorem is: Remainder = f(a), where f(x) is the polynomial function and a is the input value.