1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Remving Protons

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    Is it possible to remove a proton from an atom and then as a result will the element of the atom will change?

Would anything else need to be remove to keep an equal balance in an atom, ex. neutron or electrons?

How much radiation would be created by removing a proton.Is more rediation created by adding or subtracting a proton.

Is it possible to add a proton to an atom and change the element of the atom.

Ex. If Carbon has 6 protons and I add 2 would it be Oxygen ?
    Ex. If Oxygen has 8 protons and I remove 2 would it be Carbon?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2
    I've just started nuclear physics, so my ideas are very hazy.

As I understand it, while in principle there's nothing wrong with ejecting a photon, the energy required to get the proton out of the nucleus is extraordinarily unlikely to be achieved. Nucleons can tunnel out of a potential well in the same way as any other quanta. Alpha particles can be ejected from a nucleus because the binding energy when the alpha forms is sufficient to propel it out of the well.

This means to eject a proton requires energy from some external source. I am not aware of any particle interactions which can exchange the right amount of energy in the right place for this to happen.

Any experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?