1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repeated Eigenvalues problem

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    This problem, and all the others on this homework assignment, are making me angry.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general solution of the system of equations.

x'=[-3 5/2; -5/2 2]x

2. Relevant equations

Just watch me solve

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume there's a solution x= $ert, where I'm denoting a vector with constant entries $.

----> (A-rI)=$
    ----> (A-rI) is singular
    ----> det(A-rI)=0
    ----> r= 1/2
    ---->(A-(1/2)I)$=(0 0)T

But then I have a problem because the only solution is $=(0 0)T.

I'd know how to proceed, were it not for this dilemma. Next I would Assume there's a second solution x=$tert + #ert, where # is another vector with constant entries, and then solve.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The solution to (-3-r)*(2-r)-(-5/2)*(5/2)=0 is r=(-1/2), isn't it? Not r=1/2.
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    r2 + 3r - 2r -6 + 25/4 = 0
    r2 + r + 1/4 = 0
    r= -1/2

(More than likely, I will some more questions about this assignment. Keep checking in to this thread.)
  5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    Alright, Dick. Here is that other question I promised you.

I have a problem in the form x'=P(t)x + g(t), and P(t) just happens to be a singular matrix with constant entries. Therefor I can't do a transformation to the form y'= Dy + h(t).

Grrrrr! Now what?
  6. Apr 24, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If P were diagonal, then you could split it into two separate equations. The usual way to do this is to find a basis of R^2 where P is diagonal, then express x and g in terms of that basis and solve. You aren't being very specific here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook