Repeated Eigenvalues: How to Solve for a General Solution

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a homework assignment that is causing frustration. The problem involves finding the general solution of a system of equations. The attempt at a solution involves finding a possible solution, but leads to a dilemma. The conversation then turns to discussing another question about a different problem. The expert suggests a method for solving the problem, but also points out the need for more specific information.
Jamin2112
This problem, and all the others on this homework assignment, are making me angry.

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the system of equations.

x'=[-3 5/2; -5/2 2]x

Homework Equations

Just watch me solve

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume there's a solution x= $ert, where I'm denoting a vector with constant entries $.

----> (A-rI)=$
----> (A-rI) is singular
----> det(A-rI)=0
---->(-3-r)(2-r)-(-5/2)(5/2)=0
----> r= 1/2
---->(A-(1/2)I)$=(0 0)T

But then I have a problem because the only solution is $=(0 0)T.

I'd know how to proceed, were it not for this dilemma. Next I would Assume there's a second solution x=$tert + #ert, where # is another vector with constant entries, and then solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to (-3-r)*(2-r)-(-5/2)*(5/2)=0 is r=(-1/2), isn't it? Not r=1/2.

Dick said:
The solution to (-3-r)*(2-r)-(-5/2)*(5/2)=0 is r=(-1/2), isn't it? Not r=1/2.

r2 + 3r - 2r -6 + 25/4 = 0
r2 + r + 1/4 = 0
(r+1/2)2=0
r= -1/2

D'oh!

(More than likely, I will some more questions about this assignment. Keep checking into this thread.)

Alright, Dick. Here is that other question I promised you.

I have a problem in the form x'=P(t)x + g(t), and P(t) just happens to be a singular matrix with constant entries. Therefor I can't do a transformation to the form y'= Dy + h(t).

Grrrrr! Now what?

If P were diagonal, then you could split it into two separate equations. The usual way to do this is to find a basis of R^2 where P is diagonal, then express x and g in terms of that basis and solve. You aren't being very specific here.

1. What is the repeated eigenvalues problem?

The repeated eigenvalues problem is a mathematical concept that arises when attempting to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a square matrix. It occurs when the matrix has one or more eigenvalues that have a multiplicity greater than one, meaning they appear more than once in the matrix's characteristic polynomial.

2. How does one determine the number of repeated eigenvalues in a matrix?

The number of repeated eigenvalues in a matrix can be determined by examining the matrix's characteristic polynomial. If there is an eigenvalue that appears more than once in the polynomial, then it is a repeated eigenvalue. Another way to determine the number of repeated eigenvalues is to calculate the algebraic multiplicity of each eigenvalue, which is the highest power of the eigenvalue that appears in the polynomial.

3. What are the implications of repeated eigenvalues in a matrix?

Repeated eigenvalues can make finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix more challenging. This is because the eigenvectors corresponding to repeated eigenvalues may not be unique, and additional methods may be needed to find them. Repeated eigenvalues can also affect the stability and behavior of a system represented by the matrix.

4. How can the repeated eigenvalues problem be solved?

The repeated eigenvalues problem can be solved using a variety of methods, depending on the specific situation. One approach is to use the Jordan canonical form, which can be used to find a basis of generalized eigenvectors for the matrix. Another method is to apply the concept of diagonalization, which involves finding a similarity transformation that transforms the matrix into a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the repeated eigenvalues problem?

Yes, the repeated eigenvalues problem has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the stability of a system, model population growth, or predict the behavior of a system over time. It is also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.