Report the test statistic value

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to test if the mean response from a survey on the ideal number of children is equal to 2. The test statistic value is Z = (Phat - Pnot) / sqrt((Pnot*(1-Pnot)/n). It is unclear what values to use for Phat and Pnot. The possibility of using a proportion test is also discussed.
melissa5789

Homework Statement

Is the ideal number of children equal to 2 or higher or lower than that? For testing that the mean response from a survey equals 2.0 for the question "What do you think is the ideal number of children to have?"

(a). Report the test statistic value and show how it was obtained from other values.

Homework Equations

test of mu = 2.0 vs. not=2.0
N=1302, mean=2.49, stdev=0.85, SE mean:0.0236, T=20.8, P=0.00000

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the test statistic "Z" = (Phat - Pnot) / sqrt((Pnot*(1-Pnot)/n)

What I don't know is which numbers to use for Phat and Pnot. The examples from class are if you flip a coin 10 times, then Pnot is 1/2 because you expect to get heads half the time. And if you flip the coin 10 times and you get 7 heads, then Phat = 7/10. But I don't know how to use that to help me with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should ask yourself whether you should be doing a proportion test in this case.

i don't understand...

Why did you decide to perform a proportion test? Look at your null and alternate hypotheses. What statistic are you testing?

1. What is a test statistic value?

A test statistic value is a numerical value that is calculated from a sample of data to determine the likelihood of a hypothesis being true. It is used in statistical analysis to determine if there is a significant difference between two or more groups or variables.

2. How is the test statistic value calculated?

The test statistic value is calculated using a specific formula that depends on the type of test being performed. For example, if you are conducting a t-test, the test statistic value is calculated by taking the difference between the means of two groups and dividing it by the standard error of the difference.

3. Why is it important to report the test statistic value?

Reporting the test statistic value is important because it provides evidence to support or reject a hypothesis. It allows other researchers to replicate the study and compare their results. Additionally, it helps to determine the significance of the findings and their practical implications.

4. What does a high or low test statistic value indicate?

A high test statistic value indicates that there is a significant difference between the groups being compared, and that the null hypothesis can be rejected. On the other hand, a low test statistic value suggests that there is not enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis, and the difference between the groups may be due to chance or random variation.

5. Can the test statistic value be used to determine causation?

No, the test statistic value can only determine the likelihood of a hypothesis being true. It cannot establish a cause-and-effect relationship between variables. Other factors such as confounding variables, bias, and chance must also be considered when drawing conclusions from the test statistic value.