1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Report the test statistic value

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the ideal number of children equal to 2 or higher or lower than that? For testing that the mean response from a survey equals 2.0 for the question "What do you think is the ideal number of children to have?"

(a). Report the test statistic value and show how it was obtained from other values.
    2. Relevant equations
    test of mu = 2.0 vs. not=2.0
    N=1302, mean=2.49, stdev=0.85, SE mean:0.0236, T=20.8, P=0.00000

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the test statistic "Z" = (Phat - Pnot) / sqrt((Pnot*(1-Pnot)/n)

What I don't know is which numbers to use for Phat and Pnot. The examples from class are if you flip a coin 10 times, then Pnot is 1/2 because you expect to get heads half the time. And if you flip the coin 10 times and you get 7 heads, then Phat = 7/10. But I don't know how to use that to help me with this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    You should ask yourself whether you should be doing a proportion test in this case.

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    i dont understand...

5. May 14, 2008 #4
    Why did you decide to perform a proportion test? Look at your null and alternate hypotheses. What statistic are you testing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?