Representing Free body diagrams

In summary, when working with introductory physics, objects are typically treated as point particles but this is not always the case. In situations where the object is not a point particle, extended free-body diagrams can be used to represent the forces acting on the object. However, for determining maximum tension forces, Newton's 2nd law can still be applied to extended objects. In general, equilibrium conditions for both translational and rotational forces must be satisfied for an extended object acted upon by forces at different points.
Mr Davis 97
I have a simple question. I know that the objects that we work with in introductory physics are point particles. Thus, say we have a picture frame that is put on a wall. There is a wire holding it up, where the wire is attached to the top right and the top left corners of the frame. The passes through a nail so that the whole picture frame stays up. the wire makes a triangular shape with the picture frame. My question is how do we represent the tension forces on the frame in a free-body diagram if the picture frame is not a point particle, since the tension forces are acting on the corners of the frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can reduce the picture frame to a beam between the two points where the wire is attached. Symmetry allows to ignore rotations of the beam, so you can simplify the problem sufficiently to get back to point-like objects.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I know that the objects that we work with in introductory physics are point particles.
Well, not always, as your example illustrates. You can certainly draw an extended free body diagram where the points of application of the forces are indicated and the distances between them are shown.

Doc Al said:
Well, not always, as your example illustrates. You can certainly draw an extended free body diagram where the points of application of the forces are indicated and the distances between them are shown.
So it's not possible to represent the situation I am talking about with a point-like free-body diagram?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So it's not possible to represent the situation I am talking about with a point-like free-body diagram?
It would be somewhat odd to represent the picture as a point object. Why would you want to? (Depending upon your purpose, the location of the forces may not matter.)

Doc Al said:
It would be somewhat odd to represent the picture as a point object. Why would you want to? (Depending upon your purpose, the location of the forces may not matter.)
Well I am trying to find at which angle the wires approaches makes with the horizontal makes the tension approach a maximum. It would seem I would have to use Newton's 2nd law on a point particle to find out.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well I am trying to find at which angle the wires approaches makes with the horizontal makes the tension approach a maximum. It would seem I would have to use Newton's 2nd law on a point particle to find out.
Don't get hung up on the diagram. Newton's 2nd law applies to extended objects just as it does to point particles.

Doc Al said:
Don't get hung up on the diagram. Newton's 2nd law applies to extended objects just as it does to point particles.

So if I were to apply F = ma to the system I have described, it would be something like ##\displaystyle \sum \vec{F} = \vec{T} + \vec{T} + \vec{W} = \vec{0}##, which would mean ##\displaystyle T = \frac{mg}{2\sin \theta}##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So if I were to apply F = ma to the system I have described, it would be something like ##\displaystyle \sum \vec{F} = \vec{T} + \vec{T} + \vec{W} = \vec{0}##, which would mean ##\displaystyle T = \frac{mg}{2\sin \theta}##?
In general, if an extended object is acted upon by forces applied at different points of the object, and is in equilibrium, the particle model fails, and you have to satisfy conditions for translational equilibrium (sum of forces = 90), and rotational equilibrium (sum of torques = 0).

Mr Davis 97 said:
Sure. (Assuming symmetry, of course.)

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces, without including the object itself.

2. Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they allow us to visually analyze the forces acting on an object and determine the resulting motion. They also help us to understand the relationships between different forces and how they affect an object's movement.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify the object you want to analyze and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of each force acting on it. Label each force and make sure the lengths of the arrows are proportional to the magnitude of the force.

4. Can free body diagrams be used for objects in motion?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for objects in motion. In this case, the diagram will also include the object's acceleration, which can be determined by applying Newton's second law of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams are a simplified representation of real-world situations and therefore have some limitations. They assume that all forces are acting at a single point and do not take into account the size, shape, or internal forces of an object. They also do not consider the effects of air resistance or other non-contact forces.