Republicans no longer a viable party?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Democrats were willing to compromise but Republicans were not. If responsible Republicans don't take control, independents will conclude that Republican fanaticism caused this default. They will conclude that Republicans are not fit to govern.Yes, this is a very real possibility. I think it's safe to say that the Democratic party doesn't want to see this happen, either.In summary, Republicans are being asked to do something that is a no-brainer, and if they don't do it, the consequences could be disastrous.
mheslep said:
Did you see the spending 2009-2011 increases via federalbudget.com shown graphically in post #221 by T2Glenn?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3404244&postcount=221

Yes I seen it. The argument is about why short-term deficit (the last 2 years) is going up. My position is that its primarily due to the recession. Both loss of revenue and increase demand for safety net programs have contributed to it. Others seem to take the position that its all Obama's doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
SixNein said:
Yes I seen it. The argument is about why short-term deficit (the last 2 years) is going up. My position is that its primarily due to the recession. Both loss of revenue and increase demand for safety net programs have contributed to it. Others seem to take the position that its all Obama's doing.
The President now has the responsibility for the anemic economy in July 2011, nearly four years after the beginning of the recession. The President has the responsibility for not only doing nothing about reining in the entitlement programs, but actively blocking and mocking ideas on the table.

mheslep said:
Right, Microsoft, GM, etc are not being crowded out, the smaller businesses and private investors are. They are not sitting on large sums of cash and can't get it from the banks, who have it invested largely in T Bills.

This is nonsense. Interest rates on treasuries are LOW, not high. What is the mechanism for crowding out? Read your economics text- the way crowding out works is that interest rates go up, and certain capital investments aren't profitable. Right now, rates are rock bottom.

The story of crowding out doesn't make sense right now. If you buy a treasury right now, you LOSE money. Banks should be clamoring for any investment that ISN'T a treasury.

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/Greenspan-Treasury-Crowding-Out/2010/12/03/id/378841?s=al&promo_code=B3B7-1

Greenspan flat out made-up a number. He "thinks" its high, and he "supposes" its true. The actual data is that banks have excessive reserves- their money isn't tied up in treasuries, its not tied up at all. They are sitting on loanable cash.

I can attest the commercial construction business in the US has completely crashed in many places.

Which may be true, but it isn't related to crowding out. Interest rates (again) are absolute rock bottom.

I don't have data on hand, but my guess is (with 9% unemployment) there isn't as much demand, so companies have no reason to expand.

Why were the Repubicans so afraid of a budget surplus in 2001??[unacceptable source deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
ParticleGrl said:
This is nonsense. Interest rates on treasuries are LOW, not high. What is the mechanism for crowding out? Read your economics text- the way crowding out works is that interest rates go up, and certain capital investments aren't profitable. Right now, rates are rock bottom.

The story of crowding out doesn't make sense right now. If you buy a treasury right now, you LOSE money. Banks should be clamoring for any investment that ISN'T a treasury.
Not if you are a major bank and can borrow from the Fed at http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/omo/dmm/fedfundsdata.cfm" , and can then turn around and buy T Bills at 3%.

Greenspan flat out made-up a number. He "thinks" its high, and he "supposes" its true.
The former federal reserve chairman say's there's crowding out, a lot of it. If you have a counter reference I'd like to see it, as I'm not interested in your opinion of Greenspan.
The actual data is that banks have excessive reserves- their money isn't tied up in treasuries, its not tied up at all. They are sitting on loanable cash.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/11/09/banks-choosing-treasury-bonds-over-loans/"
WSJ said:
According to the Federal Reserve’s latest weekly measure of bank assets and liabilities, released every Friday, banks held 1.37 trillion of Treasury and Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac debt securities at the end of October and $1.37 trillion of commercial and industrial loans

Which may be true, but it isn't related to crowding out. Interest rates (again) are absolute rock bottom.
Really? For small businesses and investors, you know this how? Because you read the prime rate and just know that ACME Construction can borrow at prime plus one?

SixNein and mheslep I think are debating a moot point regarding how things get budgeted (wrt to the deficit graph). Since the numbers there are total debt owed by the government, how the money is allocated/budgeted doesn't really matter. That is showing how our spending has increased passed our revenues and the last few years that difference has spiked significantly. No matter how the money comes in or goes out - that difference is too great, and that's the point which is being lost in the discussion about budgetary spending.

@ParticleGrl - How much of the 'crumbling infrastructure' is actually federal property? Interstates are mostly funded by fuel tax from various levels (shared local/federal) and water/utility systems are managed locally. Unless you want to allow state/county/city governments to start 'charging' to the treasury - how is this going to happen? Another stimulus? How's that high-speed railway coming along? I think more people need to be looking towards their local governments for these issues. Far too many put all issues on the federal government's shoulders without regard for whom the bill really should be going to (including local politicians).

mheslep

The banks aren't loaning to small businesses.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100325/BIZ/703259908/1005

mege stated,

I think more people need to be looking towards their local governments for these issues. Far too many put all issues on the federal government's shoulders without regard for whom the bill really should be going to (including local politicians).

Right now it is difficult to find a state or local government that isn't in the dumper financially.

Not if you are a major bank and can borrow from the Fed at 0.00000000001%, and can then turn around and buy T Bills at 3%.

But literally ANY other investment the bank could make is BETTER. Are you really arguing that treasuries (with their negative real rate) are a good buy? In fact, SUCH a good buy that they are being chosen over other investments?

The former federal reserve chairman say's there's crowding out, a lot of it. If you have a counter reference I'd like to see it, as I'm not interested in your opinion of Greenspan.

In the article, Greenspan reference no data. He actually says things like "I can't prove it", "I suspect", etc. He doesn't actually reference any data. Here is a nobel laureate in economics addressing just this crowding out issue in May (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/the-doctrine-of-immaculate-crowding-out/). The blog post has a chart of corporate AAA and BBBs. Rates are low.

He is making my exact point (and the point anyone who actually passed econ 101 should also be making) government distorts the market BY CHANGING INCENTIVES. It distorts pricing. Crowding out is specifically distortions of the interest rate from excessive borrowing. If the interest rate is very low, then what is the mechanism for crowding out?

Really? For small businesses and investors, you know this how? Because you read the prime rate and just know that ACME Construction can borrow at prime plus one?

Because rates are low, across the board. See AAA and BBB yields above. Every piece of data that exists suggests rates are very, very low.

If companies are having trouble getting loans its not because the banks money is tied up in treasuries, lots of banks haves excess reserves right now. Maybe its the passage of Dodd-Frank (so called "regime uncertainty"), or maybe they're currently very risk-averse, or maybe the bank's long term outlook on various small business is grim (and so they judge the loan very risky). However, its not because treasuries are an attractive investment, because they aren't.

Banks Choosing Treasury Bonds Over Lending...

This article is from 2009. It is now 2011. Things change. In particularly, treasury rates were MUCH, MUCH higher due to "the flight to quality" that happened after the panic. The banking system more or less froze up temporarily.

How much of the 'crumbling infrastructure' is actually federal property? Interstates are mostly funded by fuel tax from various levels (shared local/federal) and water/utility systems are managed locally. Unless you want to allow state/county/city governments to start 'charging' to the treasury - how is this going to happen? Another stimulus?

Why not another stimulus? Maybe one specifically focused on upgrading parts of the power grid, US airports, etc. There are certainly parts of the country where high-speed rail would actually be useful once built, why not build it? Right now, the government can borrow money essentially for better than free, why not use that ability? Also, I wouldn't put crumbling infrastructure in quotes- ever look at the report card on America's infrastructure?

Last edited:
ParticleGrl said:
... However, its not because treasuries are an attractive investment, because they aren't.

This article is from 2009. It is now 2011. Things change. In particularly, treasury rates were MUCH, MUCH higher due to "the flight to quality" that happened after the panic. The banking system more or less froze up temporarily.
In 2009? What are you talking about? Look, http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/interest-rates/Pages/Historic-LongTerm-Rate-Data-Visualization.aspx" , while the Fed funds rate and interbank rates are ~0.nothing.

ParticleGrl said:
... If the interest rate is very low, then what is the mechanism for crowding out?
Because rates are low, across the board. See AAA and BBB yields above. Every piece of data that exists suggests rates are very, very low.
Across the board? No. Those are low ratings for commercial paper to corporations, likely still huge, not small businesses.
"[URL
As to why there's crowding out:[/URL]
Ronald McKinnon said:
...In mid-2011, the supply of ordinary bank credit to firms and households continues to fall from what it had been in mid-2008. Although large corporate enterprises again have access to bond and equity financing, bank credit is the principal source of finance for working capital for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) enabling them to purchase labor and other supplies.
Why should zero interest rates be causing a credit constraint? After all, conventional thinking has it that the lower the interest rate the better credit can expand. But this is only true when interest rates—particularly interbank interest rates—are comfortably above zero. Banks with good retail lending opportunities typically lend by opening credit lines to nonbank customers. But these credit lines are open-ended in the sense that the commercial borrower can choose when—and by how much—he will actually draw on his credit line. This creates uncertainty for the bank in not knowing what its future cash positions will be. An illiquid bank could be in trouble if its customers simultaneously decided to draw down their credit lines

If the retail bank has easy access to the wholesale interbank market, its liquidity is much improved. To cover unexpected liquidity shortfalls, it can borrow from banks with excess reserves with little or no credit checks. But if the prevailing interbank lending rate is close to zero (as it is now), then large banks with surplus reserves become loath to part with them for a derisory yield. And smaller banks, which collectively are the biggest lenders to SMEs, cannot easily bid for funds at an interest rate significantly above the prevailing interbank rate without inadvertently signaling that they might be in trouble. Indeed, counterparty risk in smaller banks remains substantial as almost 50 have failed so far this year.

edward said:
mheslep

The banks aren't loaning to small businesses.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100325/BIZ/703259908/1005
Thanks, yes I know.

In 2009? What are you talking about? Look, ten year T's were 4%, now they are 3%, while the Fed funds rate and interbank rates are ~0.nothing.

5 year treasuries dropped from near 3% to around 1%, and 5 years is what I've been consistently discussing.

The fed funds rate and interbank rates don't have much to do with the deficit, so why even bring them up?

As to why there's crowding out..

Your article is NOT about crowding out. You are confusing different things. The argument that the article is making is that a low interbank rate makes it hard for small banks to get money from larger banks. This is related to the fed funds rate, but doesn't have much to do with the deficit. The US could have no deficit, but (if the argument is correct), the low interbank rate would still be squeezing small banks.

I'm not sure I buy the argument, I'll have to think about it more, but it is at least lucid. However, it isn't really related to the deficit, so its sort of tangential to what we've been discussing.

ParticleGrl said:
5 year treasuries dropped from near 3% to around 1%, and 5 years is what I've been consistently discussing.

The fed funds rate and interbank rates don't have much to do with the deficit, so why even bring them up?
In answer to your question about why banks would be holding treasuries, and why they are not loosing money on them as you stated in 248.

Your article is NOT about crowding out. You are confusing different things. The argument that the article is making is that a low interbank rate makes it hard for small banks to get money from larger banks. This is related to the fed funds rate, but doesn't have much to do with the deficit. The US could have no deficit, but (if the argument is correct), the low interbank rate would still be squeezing small banks.
McKinnon demonstrates how small investment/borrowing is failing despite low prime rates, which normally should not happen. The low Fed/interbank rates makes the purchase of T bills possible, especially in a risky environment, i.e. federal borrowing is indeed crowding out retail borrowing. If the large borrowing for the deficit did not exist, the small banks would have no choice but to lend retail again to generate income.

mheslep said:
The President now has the responsibility for the anemic economy in July 2011, nearly four years after the beginning of the recession. The President has the responsibility for not only doing nothing about reining in the entitlement programs, but actively blocking and mocking ideas on the table.

He put entitlement programs on the table. Let's be honest, a deal could have been reached with trillions in spending cuts plus additional revenue from taxes. Ideologically, one party doesn't want tax increases, so the entire thing is being stalled. In addition to the above, presidents have been kicking the problem down the road for decades. So let's not pretend this problem has emerged with the election of Obama.

As far as the bad economy, did you expect the economy to recover from such a deep recession overnight with some of our global economic partners still in disarray?

In answer to your question about why banks would be holding treasuries, and why they are not loosing money on them as you stated in 248.

It was rhetorical, I was making the point that treasuries are a terrible investment right now, which goes against the general story of crowding out.

McKinnon demonstrates how small investment/borrowing is failing despite low prime rates, which normally should not happen. The low Fed/interbank rates makes the purchase of T bills possible, especially in a risky environment, i.e. federal borrowing is indeed crowding out retail borrowing. If the large borrowing for the deficit did not exist, the small banks would have no choice but to lend retail again to generate income.

McKinnon's argument has nothing to do with treasuries. You haven't read correctly. The argument is that small banks are illiquid because large banks aren't providing liquidity. McKinnon's argument only works if small banks don't have the money to loan anybody. I'm not entirely sure I buy it, but if debt overhang has hurt the liquidity of small banks, its plausible. But this story has NOTHING to do with crowding out. Its more about liquidity constraints in small banks. I'm not sure I buy McKinnon's story, but given the large debt overhang that could be hurting them, it seems plausible.

You want to turn it into a crowding out argument by insisting that the large banks are buying treasuries with their money, and implying that the TED spread is creating an incentive to buy treasuries. This doesn't hold up- the spread is a bit smaller than its historical norm. While LIBOR is certainly low, so are the treasury rates. Borrowing interbank to buy treasuries isn't any more profitable than normal.

Last edited:
ParticleGrl said:
The real rate for 5 year treasuries is NEGATIVE. Think about that- its CHEAPER to borrow money than to pay cash upfront. My question is- why aren't we exploiting this to rebuild some of our crumbling infrastructure?

Do you mean the "shovel ready" projects - didn't the stimulus address those?

edward said:
Why were the Repubicans so afraid of a budget surplus in 2001??

http://investmentwatchblog.com/how-the-republican%C2%ADs-are-conning-america/

Have we forgotten what happened to the economy after September 11, 2001?
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02700r.pdf

edward said:
Why were the Repubicans so afraid of a budget surplus in 2001??

I asked the same thing a while back and got the following answer:

CRGreathouse said:

Once there was concern that there would not be enough low-risk paper around if the US government paid down its debt. I don't think that's a problem at present.

So assuming it is not (a proposition I would be glad to hear arguments on, either way), why would it be beneficial except in the short term for the US government to run large debts? I understand the "we must stop the Axis powers"-type emergency spending, as well as the Keynesian "we must pump money into the sagging economy"-type spending. But supposing that neither applies (surely not the former, and with good fortune not the latter, at least soon enough), I don't see why debt would be preferred.

Unfortunately, I don't know what "low-risk paper" is, nor why it's shortage would be bad.

Trying to figure out what it is from it's use in context is a bit difficult, as what some people called "low-risk paper", turned out to be a bit of a misnomer:

http://247wallst.com/2008/03/27/quants-gone-wil/"
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm

As the meltdown began, holders of CMOs/CDOs/SIVs realized they couldn’t measure the true value of this supposedly low-risk paper and quickly found their assets and liabilities mismatched with billions lost in the squeeze.

My guess is that it is similar to a low risk investment.

Having these acronyms spelled out doesn't help me any, but their initial popularity and current lack of popularity seems to say something:
CMO = Collateralized mortgage obligation (first created in 1983 by the investment banks Salomon Brothers and First Boston)
CDO = Collateralized debt obligation (The first CDO was issued in 1987 by bankers at now-defunct Drexel Burnham Lambert Inc. ... Global investors began to stop funding CDOs in 2007, contributing to the collapse of certain structured investments held by major investment banks and the bankruptcy of several subprime lenders.)
SIV = Structured Investment Vehicles (Invented by Citigroup in 1988, SIV's were popular until the market crash of 2008.)
ref = wiki

ps. all bolding mine

pps. I know this doesn't seem to tie into why the Republicans may or may not be a viable party anymore, but I think it is a piece of the systemic puzzle of "what's destroying America?".

WhoWee said:
From your link:
"Why Buying Treasurys Isn't As Crazy as It Might Seem"

I don't think your link supports your original post: my bold

"however, investors have been willing to gobble up US debt."

Did you bother reading the article or did you simply stop at its title?

ParticleGrl said:
Why not another stimulus? Maybe one specifically focused on upgrading parts of the power grid, US airports, etc. There are certainly parts of the country where high-speed rail would actually be useful once built, why not build it? Right now, the government can borrow money essentially for better than free, why not use that ability? Also, I wouldn't put crumbling infrastructure in quotes- ever look at the report card on America's infrastructure?

Because it likely wouldn't stimulate and would only drive the country deeper into debt. Every dollar of increased government spending must correspond to one less dollar of private-sector spending. Probably the most nortorious example is Japan which spent half their GDP trying stimulus and lots of infrastructure projects, with very anemic economic growth. Today they have the highest level of debt-to-GDP in the Western world (about 230%) and a AA bond rating. As for high-speed rail, that would take years. America isn't like China where they can just build it. There are much more stringent construction and materials standards here, issues of property and eminent domain, and also the environmental impact for either every acre or mile (I forget which) of the railroad would have to be assessed. It also likely would cost the state governments more as it would have to be subsidized. Even in the European countries where it is used, it is subsidized, with the lines that lose large amounts of money being closed down. Infrastructure itself also takes time, as one cannot just suddenly start spending a bunch of money on infrastructure.

That said, if fiscal stimulus was/is workable, in addition to infrastructure, I'd say one major area to gun up spending is on the national defense, as the military needs a lot of vehicles, equipment, and weapons replaced and upgraded, and also a lot of newer equipment might be simpler and thus cheaper to maintain, allowing a reduction in the defense budget in the future opposed to what it otherwise would need to be.

There's also the corruption issues. If one decided to gun up defense or infrastructure spending, there would probably be a major lack of accountability regarding how a lot of the money is spent and thus a lot spent on stuff it shouldn't be.

On the Republicans and spending during the Bush years, well President Bush and the Republicans decided to govern as big-government conservatives. They made no attempt whatsoever at being limited government conservatives.

SixNein said:
Did you bother reading the article or did you simply stop at its title?

Your statement was not supported by your link.

Outsider's View

I am German and when watching this spectacle I have to rub my eyes in disbelief. This completely destroys my picture of America! My picture of America was that the US politicians are all patriots and at the end of the day the do what is best for the country - at least they try to do so.

But now I have the feeling there are irrational fundamentalists at work. They have already caused great damage to America's renown. They pretend to be patriots but they are scarifying the nation's future for their goals and are trying to turn back the clock. Can people be so stupid to ignore the consequences of their actions?

America is in deep trouble and running into dept at that frighting speed can't go on forever. But is also seems clear to me that low taxes for the super-rich and cutting welfare spending can't be the answer. This is ruthless client politics (I hope this is the right word). So there has to be a consensus between all parties and social classes how to get out of this mees - maybe this is a typical German attitude.

I am trying to understand what caused these hardened fronts. The only explanation I found is, that America is afraid of loosing their role as the last remaining superpower and that the Chinese will eventually become number one (an idea I don't like at all). Maybe you insiders can comment on this!

I hope, thing will take a turn to the better for America!

mege said:
The ultimate problem with this, and something Republicans worry about with any tax increase, is that it won't fix anything because spending will just increase as well.
Yes, they worry about this. But is it justified?
The country's total revenue has stayed fairly stable as a fraction of GDP over a few decades
I assume by "country's total revenue", that you mean the government's revenue?

This will be at least the third time I've posted this image:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/110xx/doc11014/MainText_HseVersion.28.1.3.png

Obviously, keeping our "revenue" relatively flat while spending exceeded our "revenue" only drove us into debt. The Reagan and Bush tax cuts, as far as I can tell, drove us to the debt level we are at now.

, it's our spending which has spiked in the last few years and is only projected to go up. The 'starve the beast' mantra is meant to not push the government into default, but to really find out what is necessary for the government/country to function at a globally competitive level and what is not.
I would imagine our spending has spiked for numerous reasons. As for the 'starve the beast' philosophy, I don't buy it. We left wingers view all people as family. (Not that we don't recognize that leach of a brother in law who really does deserve to live under a bridge. Lazy B******!)
Unfortunately, the politically correct thing to do for the left is to tax the wealthy because it appeals to the masses with their hands held out.
If you look at my tax rates, everyone in the upper 50% has an increase in their federal/payroll taxes. This might be where the right wing and I are in agreement; Obama should have never made the promise to that plumber...
There is no other justifiable reason to do so, other than jealousy and greed.
I disagree. But that's just me. I don't know that I've ever been jealous of rich people. I dont' know how old you are, but there used to be a show called "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Most of us po' folk watched it religously, and dreamed one day of living like that. Never in my dreams did I think that we should tax them so I could have all their money. I suppose that is the Republican nightmare. "The poor people want our money!"

And as I've said many times before, I have many rich friends, and admire them, and hope to be one one day. And logically, I know that I can't become one by taxing my friends and giving me the money. I don't know anyone who has become rich in this way.

Now as for greed, well, that's a concept which I've only come to recognize in myself over the last 3 or so years. That's when I started investing in the stock market. That's when I no longer gave a percentage of my income to charities. That's when I started saying to myself; "Hey! Money! Free Money! I can make money without working for it! This is cool!"

wiki said:
Greed is an excessive desire to possesses wealth or goods with the intention to keep it for one's self. Greed - like lust and gluttony - is a sin of excess. Greed is inappropriate expectation. However, greed is applied to a very excessive or rapacious desire and pursuit of wealth, status, and power.

mege said:
However, I am 100% in agreeance that our tax system is flawed.
Yay!
I think any tax increases need to be evaluated with a fundamental restructuring which eliminates much of the hand outs
"Hand outs"? There are many levels of "Hand outs".

There are people who get food stamps, and there is Boeing(et al).

and levels out (proportionately, of course) the amount of income taxes each pay.
This is somewhat ambiguous, so I will not comment.

I think that exceptions in our tax code are part of what cause this perception of inequality more than the actual tax structure. The top marginal rate should top out at the 50k/100k range, not in the millions.

I see no good reason why we shouldn't go back to 10 or 20 tax brackets, other than billionaires might claim it's "too complicated". sarcasm mine.

htf said:
I am German and when watching this spectacle I have to rub my eyes in disbelief. This completely destroys my picture of America! My picture of America was that the US politicians are all patriots and at the end of the day the do what is best for the country - at least they try to do so.

But now I have the feeling there are irrational fundamentalists at work. They have already caused great damage to America's renown. They pretend to be patriots but they are scarifying the nation's future for their goals and are trying to turn back the clock. Can people be so stupid to ignore the consequences of their actions?

America is in deep trouble and running into dept at that frighting speed can't go on forever. But is also seems clear to me that low taxes for the super-rich and cutting welfare spending can't be the answer. This is ruthless client politics (I hope this is the right word). So there has to be a consensus between all parties and social classes how to get out of this mees - maybe this is a typical German attitude.

I am trying to understand what caused these hardened fronts. The only explanation I found is, that America is afraid of loosing their role as the last remaining superpower and that the Chinese will eventually become number one (an idea I don't like at all). Maybe you insiders can comment on this!

As an American and former Republican, I agree 100% less the fear of losing #1 part. This is mostly about economic philosophy and, as David Brooks says in the article linked in the op, this is about ideological fanaticism:

But to members of this movement, tax levels are everything. Members of this tendency have taken a small piece of economic policy and turned it into a sacred fixation. They are willing to cut education and research to preserve tax expenditures. Manufacturing employment is cratering even as output rises, but members of this movement somehow believe such problems can be addressed so long as they continue to worship their idol.

It is an economic philosophy [my own!] run amok and turned into a religion. In fact, in spite of popular opinion, many of our politicians are patriots. But patriotism can be taken to the point of insanity, which I think is now the case. And we see this in the logic. Many would destroy our good faith and credit, something that has never happened before, in order to serve the country. On its face the philosophy is nuts. But this is because many tea partiers and Republicans have rejected academics for ideology. They then appeal to fear, bias, and anger.

As one analyst said this week, "Who are you going to believe; Michelle Bachman, or Ken Bernanke?"

Last edited:

htf said:
I am German
Willkommen! Hans, oder Heidi, oder Helmut, oder Hilde, oder... :wink:
and when watching this spectacle I have to rub my eyes in disbelief.
As do we from the inside. :bugeye:
This completely destroys my picture of America! My picture of America was that the US politicians are all patriots and at the end of the day the do what is best for the country - at least they try to do so.
No. American's, whether poor, rich, or politicians, are the same as everywhere else.
But now I have the feeling there are irrational fundamentalists at work.
We had a https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=330574" a while back. I can only imagine that things have gotten worse.

Ha! I knew there was a reason I loved foreigners:

Danger said:
I've got to say that I've never seen it spelled that way before, but agreed.

The truth is that while Braindead Bush was in power, we both ridiculed and feared the US. There's nothing like having someone with the IQ of an eggplant in charge of the world's largest nuclear arsenal to disturb one's sleep.
Obama has been rapidly changing that ever since his election. The right-wing extremists are still good for a laugh now and then, but the nation as a whole is beginning to gain some respect.

htf said:
They have already caused great damage to America's renown. They pretend to be patriots but they are scarifying the nation's future for their goals and are trying to turn back the clock. Can people be so stupid to ignore the consequences of their actions?
um. To quote America's favorite philosopher:

Young Forrest said:
Momma says stupid is as stupid does.
hmmm... Welcome to the United States of Germany. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg

Wie sagt man; "We are you." auf Deutsche?

Fear! Yes. I am sure you are correct.
People are afraid of being wrong.

Do you watch the TED video's? I watched http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_harford.html" yesterday. It was very interesting.

:bugeye:

Please don't take the opening intro to this TED video personally, my mother was in the German Luftwaffe during WWII.

BTW, She hated it when we sat around and watched "Hogan's Hero's".

Anyways, the complexity of our planet is such that no one can understand or accumulate all of the information needed to run it perfectly, as there are around 7 billion different opinions on how it should be run.

And we hope, that the rest of world also takes a turn for the better.
(That's strictly a democratic view by the way...)

ps. Send my thanks to Solarworld for investing 1/2 billion dollars in my neck of the woods.

German to English translations (Shut up Andre! ;) ):
willkommen = welcome
oder = or
Wie sagt man; "whatever" auf Deutsche? = How do you say; "whatever" in the German Lanuguage.
Luftwaffe = Air Force

Mitch McConnell wants Congress to abrogate its responsibility and cede the authority to raise the debt limit to Obama. That way, the GOP can use that tar-baby plan to point to Obama when they rail about the debt, without having their fingerprints on it. Normally, the debt-limit is raised quietly and without fuss whenever necessary, but the GOP has picked this fight and wants to use it against Obama in 2012. Where are the responsible adults in the GOP?

It is sad to see elected officials willing to drive our economy right back into the ditch in order to score political points. Hopefully, Obama (constitutional scholar) will insist that Congress pass the resolution and hand it to him for his signature. It is unconstitutional for him to assume that responsibility as President.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/17/washington-insiders-say-m_n_900940.html

OmCheeto said:
Obviously, keeping our "revenue" relatively flat while spending exceeded our "revenue" only drove us into debt. The Reagan and Bush tax cuts, as far as I can tell, drove us to the debt level we are at now.
Where, on that graph do you think we are "now" and when does Obama's influence begin? It looks to me like things got much worse in the past two years and are projected to be much worse over the next 10 years than the previous 20. Are you saying you think all 30 of those years are Bush's/Reagan's faults and none is Obama's?

Also, are you blaming Reagan for the debt that was accumulated before he took office? :confused:
I would imagine our spending has spiked for numerous reasons.
Agreed - do you think those reasons add up to a position that we shouldn't try to substantially reduce spending? Ie, it looks to me like we should reduce spending by about 25%, to roughly where it was in 2000. Does that seem reasonable?

[an important caveat about that graph: it's a couple of years out of date. It's my understanding that the past two years have unfolded to be much worse than people's projections]

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Where, on that graph do you think we are "now"
We are where we are on the graph. Though as you say below, the graph is now in the past.

and when does Obama's influence begin?
Obama's influence, I would say, begins quite a while before I had ever heard of him. I hear he made a very nice speech during some Democratic convention, back when I thought I had lost all hope in the American political process.

It looks to me like things got much worse in the past two years
Much, much, worse. I concur.

and are projected to be much worse over the next 10 years than the previous 20.
As an armchair quarterback, I can tell you that the last tweny years are much easier to analyze than the next 10. But I have faith in our youth.

Are you saying you think all 30 of those years are Bush's/Reagan's faults and none is Obama's?
10 of those years have yet to happen, so those are just fantasy. 20 of those years are now history. They are the Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush history.

I analyzed why Clinton cut the capitol gains tax from 30 some odd percent down to 15 percent the other day. In hindsight it looked like a stupid move. But the gains in the market at the time, over the preceding years meant that if everyone had cashed out their earnings, and were taxed at that rate, the entire national debt would have been paid for.

Also, are you blaming Reagan for the debt that was accumulated before he took office? :confused:
No, and if I've spouted out some schizophrenic blather in the past, that would make you think that my mind works that way, please point out my previous posts.

Our debt to GDP was ~31% when Reagan took office, and it was ~65% when G.H.W.Bush left. If we'd kept the same spend and don't tax ideology over the next umpteen years, where would we be now. hmmm... Care to follow the graph, without that Clinton glitch in the middle?*@*

US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_Color_Coded_Congress_Control_and_Presidents_Highlighted.jpg

I would imagine our spending has spiked for numerous reasons.
Agreed - do you think those reasons add up to a position that we shouldn't try to substantially reduce spending? Ie, it looks to me like we should reduce spending by about 25%, to roughly where it was in 2000. Does that seem reasonable?
No, as I've said before, when your wife is sick in the hospital with cancer, you mortgage the house to save her.
If you don't, then you didn't really care about her.

This might strike you as some type of sick Gingrich type of Democratic slam.

And I suppose, it really is.

[an important caveat about that graph: it's a couple of years out of date. It's my understanding that the past two years have unfolded to be much worse than people's projections]

I'm tired of doing graphs. Do you know how many freaking graphs I've researched for this stinking forum!?

A lot.

That's how many.

A lot.

*@*ans: 16.38 Trillion would be our current debt, vs our current 14.5 Trillion.

simple point slope intercept:

31% 1981
65% 1993

y=mx+b
m=y1-y2/x1-x2

31 y1
65 y2
1981 x1
1993 x2

2.83 m

-5581.83 b=y-mx

2011 x
116 y

hmmm...

not that bad a percentage difference.

What are we argueing about again?

Oh!

I hate Republicrats!

Attachments

• GDP Growth.gif
    GDP Growth.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

htf said:

They are. The debt and deficit are very serious issues, so the GOP is doing its best to keep it as an issue going into the 2012 election. I am amazed by how the view right now so much seems to be that for anyone who disagrees with the Democrats/President Obama, that they should all just do the "patriotic thing" and go along, with no resistance. Yet during the Bush years, if anyone suggested that with regards to the Republicans and President Bush, they were called a sheep.

The Democrats were right, dissent is a form of patriotism, but it applies with regards to both parties. Also, "doing the right thing" is a little difficult when both parties have differing views on exactly what the right thing is.

America is in deep trouble and running into dept at that frighting speed can't go on forever. But is also seems clear to me that low taxes for the super-rich and cutting welfare spending can't be the answer.

High taxes for the wealthy aren't the answer either. What is probably really needed is something like a VAT tax, which taxes primarily the poor and middle-income, that's how the European nations do it, along with a lot of controls on spending, but good luck getting either of those passed (if the government got ahold of loads more revenue, they'd manage to spend it). Another solution could be to simplify the tax code and close all loopholes up (but I highly doubt the Democrats would allow things like the Make Work Pay tax credit, the Child Tax Credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit (ironically a Republican creation), etc...to be done away with. And businesses would probably lobby to preserve certain loopholes they exploit.

This is ruthless client politics (I hope this is the right word). So there has to be a consensus between all parties and social classes how to get out of this mees - maybe this is a typical German attitude.

Germany has different political parties with differing views as well.

The politics are because one party wants big government while the other party wants limited government. As for China, I do not think China will overtake the U.S. anytime soon and I really think their economy is in a bubble right now that is going to blow up soon.

CAC1001 said:
The politics are because one party wants big government while the other party wants limited government. As for China, I do not think China will overtake the U.S. anytime soon and I really think their economy is in a bubble right now that is going to blow up soon.
I take issue with the notion that one party wants limited government. The GOP has never found any fault with military spending (erroneously called "defense spending", IMO). We have the largest military budget in the world, the largest navy in the world, and foreign military bases that probably number well over a thousand if the covert bases were revealed. I find it incomprehensible that our elected representatives can't find any way to cut spending except to roll back SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. Drop 2-3 carrier groups, close 600+ foreign military bases, and stop buying and building planes that the Pentagon doesn't even want. Is that so hard?

htf said:

Extremist views can take hold when people are uncertain about their future because these views provide a simple narrative for people to follow with an illusion of certainty. And once people bite into those narratives, they are almost impossible to reason with because they would be forced to leave a certain world view. To make matters worse, there is a great deal of unfiltered information available to people today. But none of these problems are limited to the United States; instead, they occur throughout the world.

At any rate, you are correct in that many Americans are afraid of losing the super-power status. So they are buying into various narratives.

Back