Require a source for a delocated photon pair

In summary, the DCQE experiment of Kim et al uses a laser to illuminate two slits followed by an SPDC. This results in a small amplitude of down-converted entangled pairs. The authors state that the entangled photons are emitted from either atom A or atom B, creating a superposition. This setup is similar to Type I PDC entanglement and the source cannot be distinguished. The superposition arises from the possibility it could be either atom A or atom B, and it is not in line with the classical idea that the pair came from one or the other source.
Derek P
The light source in the DCQE experiment of Kim et al is a laser which illuminates two slits which are immediately followed by an SPDC. The latter is therefore excited coherently in two narrow stripes referred to as "slits". The output has a small amplitude of down-converted entangled pairs. The authors state "A pair of entangled photons, photon 1 and photon 2, is then emitted from either atom A or atom B by atomic cascade decay."

Consider just the "erased" cases. Photon 2 is entangled with photon 1. So when, for example, an |A>+|B> detection occurs, photon 1 is assigned to the |A>+|B> "interference pattern". That's not the problem here.

But according to what I just quoted, the pair is emitted by a single atom, a single slit. To simplify things a bit, It is either |A>|A> or |B>|B>. However, later in the paper, in (2) it has become a superposition.

I would put this down to careless language by Kim et al, but it seems to me this does not get rid of the problem. |A>|A> + |B>|B> at the detectors can only have evolved from |A>|A> + |B>|B> at the SPDC. Which can only have evolved from |α>+|β> where |α> and |β> are the excited states of atom A and atom B respectively. The photon pair is therefore emitted by two, widely separated atoms acting together.

Personally I have no difficulty with this picture, because I would expect the possible different emission times to result in a superposition of |α> → |A>|A> and |β> → |B>|B>. However apparently this is not a standard description. I would dearly love to know what is the standard description given that the alleged emission from a single atom in a single slit gives rise to a state that refers to both slits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Derek P said:
But according to what I just quoted, the pair is emitted by a single atom, a single slit. To simplify things a bit, It is either |A>|A> or |B>|B>. However, later in the paper, in (2) it has become a superposition... |A>|A> + |B>|B> at the detectors can only have evolved from |A>|A> + |B>|B> at the SPDC. Which can only have evolved from |α>+|β> where |α> and |β> are the excited states of atom A and atom B respectively. The photon pair is therefore emitted by two, widely separated atoms acting together. ...
I would dearly love to know what is the standard description given that the alleged emission from a single atom in a single slit gives rise to a state that refers to both slits.

This apparently nonsensical setup is actually more common than might initially appear. Type I PDC entanglement uses a very similar technique, where there are 2 PDC crystals overlapped but perpendicular. The entangled pair originates from one or the other of the crystals, just as in your cited setup. Many Bell tests use Type I entanglement.

The answer is that the source cannot be distinguished. It could be either one. In this case (A or B), the superposition arises from the possibility it could be either. Any superposition (say spin) is a combination of states that are mutually incompatible (such as up or down). This is no different. Obviously this does not follow the classical idea that it came from one or the other, and they are fully independent.

DrChinese said:
In this case (A or B), the superposition arises from the possibility it could be either. Any superposition (say spin) is a combination of states that are mutually incompatible (such as up or down). This is no different. Obviously this does not follow the classical idea that it came from one or the other, and they are fully independent.
Okay, well I admit I was little miffed to be slapped down hard for describing a similar situation as the photon coming from both sources so I was wondering how it "should" be described. A superposition is not too hard to accept if it started as a single emission event but then is split by a BS or a double slit etc. It becomes crazy if the emission mechanism occurs in a single atom and yet results in a superposition over two crystals.
That's why I suggest decomposing it into a large number of low amplitude components corresponding to emission from each atom. It all makes sense then.

1. What is a delocated photon pair?

A delocated photon pair is a pair of photons that are entangled, meaning they are connected in a way that their properties are correlated. This correlation persists even when the photons are separated by a large distance.

2. Why is a source for delocated photon pairs important?

A source for delocated photon pairs is important because it allows for the study of quantum entanglement and its potential applications in technologies such as quantum computing and secure communication.

3. How is a source for delocated photon pairs created?

A source for delocated photon pairs is typically created through a process called spontaneous parametric down-conversion, where a single photon is split into two entangled photons.

4. What are the potential applications of delocated photon pairs?

The potential applications of delocated photon pairs include quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum computing. These technologies could greatly enhance data security and computing power.

5. What are the challenges in creating a reliable source for delocated photon pairs?

One of the main challenges in creating a reliable source for delocated photon pairs is maintaining the entanglement over long distances. This requires precise control and manipulation of the photons to prevent them from becoming decohered or losing their entanglement.