Researching Reputable Graduate Programs for MS in Applied Physics

In summary, CSU Fresno is offering a tuition waiver and a State University Grant. SFSU is offering a tuition waiver, but its only a small amount of money. My real concern is how much I should expect to take out in loans... What is a reasonable amount to have accrued by graduation, that won't totally screw me.
Lawrencel2
I am looking to find out if my choices of graduate programs for a MS in applied physics are reputable. I was accepted to both CSU long Beach, SFSU, and Fresno.. Does anyone have an opinion on these schools?

Is it normal that they don't offer tuition waivers? They are very vague on what they are offering in terms of money... How much is a reasonable amount of loans to accrue for a master's in case the TAships are not enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, CSU Fresno.

SFSU is offering a TAship, but its only a small amount of money. My real concern is how much I should expect to take out in loans... What is a reasonable amount to have accrued by graduation, that won't totally screw me.

Lawrencel2 said:
Yes, CSU Fresno.

SFSU is offering a TAship, but its only a small amount of money. My real concern is how much I should expect to take out in loans... What is a reasonable amount to have accrued by graduation, that won't totally screw me.

I don't think there is a standard number. Why haven't you asked each school what tuition and fees they are going to charge? You have a right to know, and if you are going to take out a student loan, you should know the answer.

If you were going to buy a car or a house, you'd want to know what the dealer or owner is asking. It's the same thing with education.

I totally agree.. SFSU is giving a "partial tuition waiver" which is 750 off of my tuition. That would bring tuition down to about 3000 a semester. I also think that I will be a recipient of the State university grant, which may cover the remaining cost of attendance. . also with one section of teaching is about $2500 a semester.
Im concerned with what a master's degree holder can expect to pay off in terms of loans.. I have no idea what "too much money in loans" will look like for me. (thin film research group is what i plan on trying to get into).?
I will be living in the east bay for a semester of two with my grandmother (free of charge) so i will need to commute as well... so I'm sure that will save me money compared to living in the city but still hefty charges for the commute i assume

Related to Researching Reputable Graduate Programs for MS in Applied Physics

1. What is the difference between a Master of Science (MS) and a Master of Applied Science (MASc) in Applied Physics?

The main difference between an MS and a MASc in Applied Physics is the focus of the program. An MS typically has a more theoretical and academic approach, while a MASc is more geared towards practical and applied research. Additionally, an MS may have a broader curriculum, covering a range of topics in physics, while a MASc may have a more specialized focus on a specific area of applied physics.

2. How do I determine the reputation of a graduate program in Applied Physics?

There are a few key factors to consider when determining the reputation of a graduate program in Applied Physics. Firstly, you can look at the rankings of the program by reputable organizations such as U.S. News and World Report or QS World University Rankings. You can also research the faculty and their research backgrounds and publications, as well as the success of previous graduates in the field.

3. What are the typical admission requirements for a graduate program in Applied Physics?

Admission requirements for a graduate program in Applied Physics may vary slightly between universities, but generally, a bachelor's degree in a related field (such as physics, engineering, or mathematics) is required. Other common requirements include a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a statement of purpose and/or a resume.

4. Can I get funding for a Master's program in Applied Physics?

Many graduate programs in Applied Physics offer funding opportunities for their students, either through teaching or research assistantships, scholarships, or fellowships. It is important to research the specific program and department for information on funding opportunities and application processes.

5. Are there any online or part-time options for a Master's program in Applied Physics?

While some universities may offer online or part-time options for a Master's program in Applied Physics, it is not as common as for undergraduate or professional degrees. This is because graduate programs in Applied Physics typically have a strong research component that may be difficult to complete online or part-time. It is important to research the specific program and its requirements before considering these options.