Troubleshooting an Unresponsive Unmanaged Switch

• Thread starter Silicon Waffle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary: Then it's likely a dead switch. Time to go out and get yourself a new toy!In summary, if you want your computer to be able to talk to the network, you need to connect it to the main router. If you want your computer to be able to talk to the network, you need to connect it to the main router.
Silicon Waffle
I have tried to reset my unmanaged switch (Cisco Linksys) by recycling its power several times but everything becomes the same. My computer can't retrieve the IP address delivered from it that is set up with DHCP mode.
If I connect my computer to the main router (the one that is connected to the Internet) then everything works fine (my computer is network-able). I guess my switch is being dead or likely already. :DD

Computer science news on Phys.org
Silicon Waffle said:
If I connect my computer to the main router (the one that is connected to the Internet) then everything works fine (my computer is network-able). I guess my switch is being dead or likely already
Several comments:
  • In a computer network, an unmanaged switch is totally invisible.
  • I have never seen an unmanaged switch that is also a DHCP server.
  • In any case, an unmanaged switch should be connected to the main router if you want your computers to have Internet access. Then the DHCP server in the main router will work through the switch.

Svein said:
Several comments:
  • In a computer network, an unmanaged switch is totally invisible.
  • I have never seen an unmanaged switch that is also a DHCP server.
  • In any case, an unmanaged switch should be connected to the main router if you want your computers to have Internet access. Then the DHCP server in the main router will work through the switch.
Thank you a lot. :biggrin: It is not a DHCP server, I mean the DHCP service is set up at the main router; and my cable if connected from the said switch is not functioning even though there are LED signals from the switch, so I think my switch is "dead" and I can't reset it anymore.

Failed: Internet ---- Main Router ---- Switch ---- My computer
Works: Internet ---- Main Router ---- My computer

You likely have a dead switch or dead a port. Generally, unmanaged switches have nothing to reset since none of the settings on them can actually be changed. The best you can do is to try different ports and turn the device off and then back on.

If that doesn't work, then its time to throw it away and get a new one.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Routaran said:
You likely have a dead switch or dead a port. Generally, unmanaged switches have nothing to reset since none of the settings on them can actually be changed. The best you can do is to try different ports and turn the device off and then back on.
If that doesn't work, then its time to throw it away and get a new one.
Thank you for your reply,
I did change the ports (all of which work fine (LED signals are all on)), cycle the power to no avail.

Silicon Waffle said:
Thank you for your reply,
I did change the ports (all of which work fine (LED signals are all on)), cycle the power to no avail.
Then it's likely a dead switch. Time to go out and get yourself a new toy!

1. How do I reset an unmanaged switch?

To reset an unmanaged switch, you can simply unplug the power source and plug it back in after a few seconds. This will restart the switch and reset any configurations that may have been changed.

2. Will resetting an unmanaged switch delete all of my network settings?

Yes, resetting an unmanaged switch will erase any configurations or settings that have been changed. It will bring the switch back to its default factory settings.

3. Do I need to reset my unmanaged switch if it is not functioning properly?

Resetting an unmanaged switch can help resolve some issues, but it is not always necessary. Before resetting, try troubleshooting the issue and make sure the switch is properly connected and configured.

4. Can I reset an unmanaged switch remotely?

No, since unmanaged switches do not have a web interface or any remote management capabilities, you cannot reset them remotely. You will need to physically unplug the switch and plug it back in to reset it.

5. Will resetting an unmanaged switch affect other devices on the network?

Resetting an unmanaged switch will only affect the devices connected to that specific switch. It will not affect any other devices on the network, unless they are also connected to that same switch.