Residual magnetism in shunt generator reverse F1F2

In summary: In additively merging fields, currents from the electromagnet flow into the generator, adding to the existing field. The voltage produced is the sum of the two fields. Subtractively merging fields, on the other hand, remove energy from the generator's field, reducing the voltage.
jaus tail
Hi,
I'm not able to understand how reversing Field terminals will help build magnetic flux in dc shunt generator
Have drawn diagrams below.
In 1st case machine doesn't generate as the flux opposes residual flux, so I reverse F1, F2 and draw below diagram...
upload_2018-1-12_12-19-8.png

But in second case the direction of current will also change as the flux has changed its direction. So by right hand rule, emf also changes sign. So again the field flux is same as right to left. How does this work? Do I change the direction of rotation of prime mover?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-12_12-19-8.png
    upload_2018-1-12_12-19-8.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,509
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide the page where you have seen this technique described? It might give a clue to what is going on.

What are F1,F2?

Likes jaus tail
The description is:
The small voltage due to residual magnetism should circulate current in field coils in a direction to produce flux aiding the residual flux. If the field connections are incorrect, the flux produced by small field current opposes residual flux and generated voltage becomes zero. This trouble can be remedied by reversing field connections w.r.t armature terminals.

There isn't any diagram or more. I drew the diagram myself.

Okay got it. At first field current is zero. Residual flux is there. This causes Eg and also Ia. This also gives field current. Now if field flux opposes residual flux then generator goes to zero voltage as flux has fallen.
But if I reverse field. Again at first field current is zero. Residual flux is there. This causes Eg and Ia. This gives field current. But now it's opposite so it aids residual flux.

Likes NascentOxygen
jaus tail said:
The description is:
The small voltage due to residual magnetism should circulate current in field coils in a direction to produce flux aiding the residual flux. If the field connections are incorrect, the flux produced by small field current opposes residual flux and generated voltage becomes zero. This trouble can be remedied by reversing field connections w.r.t armature terminals.

There isn't any diagram or more. I drew the diagram myself.
It's saying if you connect the field the wrong way it won't work. To fix this, connect it the right way and it will work.

Imagine a permanent magnet generator. You decide to add an electromagnet to strengthen the field. There are two ways to merge the fields: additively and subtractively. The prime mover's rotation remains unchanged.

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail

1. What is residual magnetism in a shunt generator?

Residual magnetism refers to the small amount of magnetic field that remains in the shunt generator's field coils even when the generator is not in use. This residual magnetism is responsible for producing the initial voltage in the generator when it is started.

2. How is residual magnetism created in a shunt generator?

Residual magnetism is created in a shunt generator through the process of excitation. When current flows through the field coils, it produces a magnetic field that magnetizes the generator's core. When the current is turned off, a small amount of this magnetism remains in the core, creating the residual magnetism.

3. Why is it important to have residual magnetism in a shunt generator?

Residual magnetism is important because it allows the shunt generator to start producing voltage as soon as it is turned on. Without residual magnetism, the generator would not be able to produce any initial voltage and would not be able to function properly.

4. Can residual magnetism be lost in a shunt generator?

Yes, residual magnetism can be lost in a shunt generator if the generator is not used for a long period of time. Without regular excitation, the magnetic field in the field coils can weaken, resulting in the loss of residual magnetism.

5. How can residual magnetism be restored in a shunt generator?

Residual magnetism can be restored in a shunt generator by performing a process called flashing. This involves briefly connecting the field coils to a DC power source in the opposite direction of normal operation. This will induce a strong magnetic field in the field coils, restoring the residual magnetism in the generator's core.