Resistance Heating moving conductor

In summary, you would need to calculate the spacing between the pulleys based on the wire's resistivity, the wire's length, and the temperature difference between the two pulleys. You would also need to account for heat losses to the environment.
osmax67
I have a 400 amp 0-40 volt dc supply, I need to heat a wire by wrapping it around two bronze/nickel pulleys 12" diameter , with one connected to the positive terminal of the supply and one to the negative. The wire being mild steel .148" diameter moving at a rate of 50' per second with the desired temperature being 400°f , 240" after coming off the second pulley in an controlled environment 80°f .How would you calculate the spacing between the positive and negative pulleys for varying speeds and diameter? Assuming the wires ambient temperature to be 80°f before it is heated and the pulleys have a controlled temperature of 120 °f..

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a sketch of the setup? At least for me, it is hard to imagine how it looks like.

Thank you for your interest .

Yes I can send you a cad drawing if you would like.

Its a single continuous strand wrapped a couple times around a pulley at the entry point that would have brushes to provide the voltage and current to the pulley transferred to the wire and then would repeat the wrap around another pulley spaced 20' or so away to increase the resistance, The second pulley would have the opposite polarity . -------o----------------o----------- I have already set this up and it works I would really like to understand more than just the Ohms law part of the equation. The heating of the wire is not from the outside in, or between the two conductors as I had thought originally , but takes time to come to the outer surface after it has passed the pulley contacts.
Again Thanks for you thoughts.

Please don't write PMs, I see your replies here.

Okay, so current goes in at one pulley, goes through the wire to the opposite pulley and out there.

The resistance of the contacts to the pulleys would be interesting.
Assuming we can neglect this and the resistance of the pulleys itself: P=UI=U2/R (where the second = is Ohm's law), R will be linear with the length of the wire segment between the pulleys. A shorter wire leads to smaller R and a larger power - until the resistance in the remaining circuit becomes important.
The resistance is the resistivity of your material multiplied by the length and divided by the cross-section of the wire. The resistivity is temperature-dependent, but you can probably use the average temperature to get a reasonable approximation.

Heat losses to the environment are another issue.

And the specific heat of the wire is needed to determine the rise in temperature as the current is fed through the wire.

What is "Resistance Heating moving conductor"?

Resistance heating moving conductor is a process in which heat is generated in a conductor by passing an electric current through it, causing the conductor to heat up. This is due to the resistance of the conductor to the flow of electricity, which converts the electrical energy into heat energy.

How does resistance heating affect a moving conductor?

As the conductor moves, the resistance to the flow of electricity increases, causing more heat to be generated. This can be seen in everyday objects such as an electric stovetop, where the coils heat up as electricity flows through them. In the case of a moving conductor, the heat generated is proportional to the speed of the conductor and the amount of resistance in the circuit.

What are the applications of resistance heating moving conductor?

Resistance heating moving conductor has various applications in industries such as metalworking, plastic processing, and food production. It is used for processes like welding, soldering, and heat treating. It is also commonly used in household appliances like hair dryers and toasters.

What are the advantages of using resistance heating for a moving conductor?

Resistance heating is a highly efficient method of generating heat as it eliminates the need for a separate heating element. It also allows for precise control of temperature and is a relatively inexpensive process compared to other heating methods. It is also a clean and environmentally friendly method of heating.

Are there any safety concerns with resistance heating moving conductor?

While resistance heating is generally considered safe, there are some safety concerns to be aware of. The high temperatures generated can pose a fire hazard, and there is also a risk of electric shock if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to follow safety protocols and use proper protective equipment when working with resistance heating moving conductor.