Resistance in a combination circuit

In summary, In this problem, the resistors in a circuit have different resistances. To solve this problem, you need to combine the resistances from the different nodes in the circuit.
wahaj

Homework Statement

Find the resistance in resistor MN. Diagram is attached

Homework Equations

in series circuit
R = R1+R2+R2+...Rn
in parallel circuit
[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3}+... \frac{1}{R_n} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to get started. I was able to find the resistance between points K and L but I can't seem to make sense of how to draw a diagram for this. I just need a hint to get me started

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
wahaj said:

Homework Statement

Find the resistance in resistor MN. Diagram is attached

Homework Equations

in series circuit
R = R1+R2+R2+...Rn
in parallel circuit
[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3}+... \frac{1}{R_n} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to get started. I was able to find the resistance between points K and L but I can't seem to make sense of how to draw a diagram for this. I just need a hint to get me started
Do all the resistors have the same resistance?

no all the resistances are different. I actually just wanted a better understanding of how to solve this kind of problem rather than solve this specific problem. The resistance in MN is 211 and was determined experimentally. I have to do a series/parallel analysis on the circuit to find the resistance in MN and see if the 2 resistances match within error range

Do you need the total resistance between nodes M and N?

Draw the M node at the top and the N node at the bottom - imagine you put a battery with the + terminal at M and the negative at N ans see where the current can go. There are three possible paths. See now?

ok I got it thanks

How to combine them depends on the two points you pick. You want the resistance between K and L, yes? clearly MO, OP, PN are in series, so combine those first. How do you think you should combine the net of that with MN? Then with KM and NL?

I actually figured it out. It turns out I had the diagram drawn a bit wrong. but I fixed it thanks to you help

How to combine them depends on the two points you pick. You want the resistance between K and L, yes? clearly MO, OP, PN are in series, so combine those first. How do you think you should combine the net of that with MN? Then with KM and NL?

1. What is a combination circuit?

A combination circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel components. This means that the circuit has multiple pathways for the flow of electrical current.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a combination circuit?

The total resistance in a combination circuit can be calculated by using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. Alternatively, the total resistance can also be calculated by adding the individual resistances in series and using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 ... or by using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R + 1/R + 1/R ... for resistors in parallel.

3. How does adding resistors in parallel affect the total resistance in a combination circuit?

Adding resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance of the circuit. This is because in parallel circuits, the voltage remains constant while the current is divided among the different pathways. This results in a decrease in the overall resistance.

4. What is the difference between a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single pathway, and the current remains constant throughout. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple pathways, and the current is divided among them. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How does the concept of resistance apply to combination circuits?

In combination circuits, the total resistance is determined by the combination of series and parallel components. The individual resistances in series add up to determine the total resistance, while the resistances in parallel decrease the total resistance. This allows for more control over the flow of current in a circuit and can be applied to various real-world situations.