1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance to change in temperature?

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1
    I was wondering, after looking at a pot of hot water today, whether a large amount of hot water has more resistance to change in temperature than a small pot of water. I thought maybe liquids had a sort of inertia when it comes to temperature; maybe a larger amount could stay hot for longer than a smaller amount. Is this true? And if so, is there an equation that someone could give me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Look at the definitions (in words) of "heat capacity" and "specific heat capacity".

Zz.

4. Jan 3, 2010 #3
    All substances have a "specific heat capacity", which is a measure of the material's capacity to store heat. This is sometimes described as "thermal mass", a useful but not entirely accurate analogy. For example, water has a higher specific heat capacity than air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity

The total heat stored in an object is proportional to the quantity of it; so the amount of heat stored in 1kg of water is half that of 2kg of water.

5. Jan 3, 2010 #4
    thanks a lot guys

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook