Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution of eye

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    hey how would you work out resolution of an human eye at defeerent distances looking at 2 lines 0.25mm apart?

cheers alex

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2
    I guess you just vary the distance of your eye to the two lines, starting from a point where you can see the 2 lines distinctly. The exact point where the two lines seem to merge and you cannot see the space between them, you note this distance ,d. Since d is very large compared to the width, the angle between the 2 lines is approx (sin(a) = 0.25/d)

The angular resolution of the eye would therefore be (a) That is, you can only see distinctly a width that sweeps out an angle (a) or more from where you are standing.

hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    if you want the resolution in terms or the actaul width of the object you are observing, it is width= (distance of your eye to object) x sin(a) which you found earlier.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    Eye resolutions for various animals.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5
    ne1 kno much about resolution when u change the lux in the surroundings?

7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Unfortunately, my eye resolution isn't good enough for me to read that. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?