1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution of eye

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    hey how would you work out resolution of an human eye at defeerent distances looking at 2 lines 0.25mm apart?

cheers alex

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2
    I guess you just vary the distance of your eye to the two lines, starting from a point where you can see the 2 lines distinctly. The exact point where the two lines seem to merge and you cannot see the space between them, you note this distance ,d. Since d is very large compared to the width, the angle between the 2 lines is approx (sin(a) = 0.25/d)

The angular resolution of the eye would therefore be (a) That is, you can only see distinctly a width that sweeps out an angle (a) or more from where you are standing.

hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    if you want the resolution in terms or the actaul width of the object you are observing, it is width= (distance of your eye to object) x sin(a) which you found earlier.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    Eye resolutions for various animals.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5
    ne1 kno much about resolution when u change the lux in the surroundings?

7. Apr 18, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Unfortunately, my eye resolution isn't good enough for me to read that. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?