Resonance frequency increasing with mass?

In summary, the resonance frequency of a spring and mass system increases with a decrease in mass. However, when a coin-sized metal is attached to a smaller piezoelectric material, the resonance frequency range actually goes up. This is due to the change in stiffness caused by the additional metal pieces. The metal is vibrated using a small piece of piezoelectric material, which also acts as an actuator and sensor. The change in the resonance frequency range is likely due to the natural frequency of the piezoelectric material, as well as the change in stiffness caused by attaching additional metal pieces.
bulgogii
For a spring and mass system, I've learned the resonance frequency of a system increases with decrease in mass.

Not sure if this case is also related but when I attach a coin sized metal onto a piezoelectric material of a smaller size, the resonance frequency range actually goes up (from observation by measuring the electrical impedance(ohms) of the piezoelectric material with varying in frequency range). The resonance frequency range keeps going up when I continue attaching metal pieces with an adhesive.

Ain't the resonance frequency range suppose to go down with increase in mass? or is it the stiffness affecting the result??

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, when you say resonance frequency do you actually mean natural frequency? that is, the fundamental frequency that the system vibrates in, absent any driving forces?

Secondly, it's very likely that by gluing the larger size metal onto the other smaller material that you are changing the stiffness characteristics as well.

Thx for the reply, the metal is vibrated using a small piece of pzt material(acts as actuator&sensor simultaneously) glued to it. the PZT material is vibrated by inputing AC voltage(1 volt) from 10kHz to 90kHz using a function generator. Maybe its the natural frequency of the PZT material?

But as you've mentioned, the change in the resonance frequency range is probably due to the change in the stiffness by attaching additional metal pieces

You didn't answer my first question.

Yes~ I meant natural frequency when I say resonance frequency

1. How does increasing mass affect resonance frequency?

Increasing the mass of a system typically decreases its resonance frequency. This is because a higher mass means a lower natural frequency, which is the frequency at which the system will vibrate on its own.

2. What is the relationship between mass and resonance frequency?

The relationship between mass and resonance frequency is inverse. As mass increases, resonance frequency decreases and vice versa.

3. Can resonance frequency be increased by adding mass?

No, adding mass will actually decrease the resonance frequency of a system. In order to increase resonance frequency, the stiffness of the system must be increased.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its resonance frequency?

The shape of an object can affect its resonance frequency, but it is not the main factor. The mass and stiffness of the object have a greater impact on resonance frequency.

5. Why is resonance frequency important in scientific research?

Resonance frequency is important in scientific research because it can help determine the natural frequency of a system and how it will respond to external forces. This information is useful in many fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.