Temperature & Resonance: Exploring Frequency Response

• Thread starter Wesleytf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the conversation revolved around the effects of temperature on resonance and frequency in various materials. The speaker observed the changing pitch of a spoon in their coffee and wondered about the impact of temperature on tuning forks and guitar strings. They also discussed the relationship between temperature and the frequency response function of a material, referring to a frequency response model as an example. The conversation concluded with a question about the change in dampening caused by temperature and its effect on frequency.
Wesleytf
So this morning, while prepping for my calc 2 final, I sat at the breakfast table and drank my coffee. After stirring in some sugar, I tapped the spoon on the side of the mug to shake off the remaining drops of coffee. I noticed the pitch of resonating spoon was increasing. I wondered about a couple things--how far off a tuning fork is on a hot day, how much this effects guitar strings when you're really shredding, etc. I spent a minute trying to think of a way to relate temperature to a resonating solid- is it as simple as that the frequency response function is also dependent on the temperature of the material? I looked up the equation and I don't know the right way to get that in there... so drop some knowledge on me fellas!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm almost pretty sure increase in temperature won't cause an increase in vibration. The fact that higher temperature cause the material to have more plastic like properties. Plastic seems to have better dampen properties than brittle materials. But who knows, maybe that dampen happens to cause the wave to reinforce.

Temperature will change the length of a string, thus its tension and pitch.

I found this frequency response model

http

://

en.wikipedia

(dot) org

/wiki/Image:Frequency_response_example

(dot)

png

(again, sorry about the funky link, but I'm not allowed to post links 'till I get to 15 posts. If anyone wants to patch it up for me, I'd appreciate it)

the only thing I can relate it to that I see here is the stiffness. anyone able to talk more about the change dampening as caused by a temperature change and how that might relate to the frequency?

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is the tendency of a system to oscillate at maximum amplitude at certain frequencies. In other words, it is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates when it is disturbed.

2. How does temperature affect resonance?

Temperature can affect resonance in various ways. For mechanical systems, an increase in temperature can cause an increase in the natural frequency, while for electrical systems, it can cause a decrease in the natural frequency. In general, as temperature increases, the elasticity of materials decreases, which can alter the natural frequency of a system.

3. What is frequency response?

Frequency response is the measure of how a system responds to different frequencies. It shows the relationship between the input frequency and the output amplitude or gain of a system. It is often represented as a graph, with frequency on the x-axis and amplitude on the y-axis.

4. How can we explore frequency response?

Frequency response can be explored through various experiments and measurements. One common method is to use a signal generator to input different frequencies into a system and measure the output amplitude using a spectrum analyzer. This can help determine the natural frequency and resonant frequencies of the system.

5. What real-world applications involve temperature and resonance?

Temperature and resonance have many real-world applications in fields such as acoustics, engineering, and materials science. For example, musical instruments rely on resonance to produce certain frequencies, and engineers must consider temperature effects when designing structures or machinery to ensure they can withstand vibrations. In materials science, understanding the relationship between temperature and resonance is crucial for predicting and controlling the behavior of materials under different conditions.