Solving Resonance: Ideas to Get Started

• Thread starter LTU83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the problem involves a 143-cm-long pipe with a loudspeaker near the open end and an audio oscillator whose frequency can be varied from 10.0 to 4700 Hz. The goal is to find the resonant frequency of the pipe, which can be determined by finding the length of the pipe that corresponds to 1/4, 1/2, or 1 wavelength of the frequency. The equation f = v/λ is relevant to solving this problem.
LTU83
I don't want the answer to this problem just an idea of how to get started. I don't understand what I am looking for. Thanks.

Homework Statement

A 143-cm-long pipe is stopped at one end. Near the open end, there is a loudspeaker that is driven by an audio oscillator whose frequency can be varied from 10.0 to 4700 Hz. (Take the speed of sound to be 343 m/s.)

Homework Equations

freq= v / λ (just guessing)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are looking for either. There is no question attached to the statement of the situation, but f = v/λ is correct regardless.

I presume you want to find the resonant frequency of the pipe. Let's narrow it down a bit. Will it be when the length of the pipe is equal to 1/4 wavelength, 1/2 wavelength or 1 wavelength of the frequency?

1. How do I identify resonating systems?

To identify resonating systems, you can start by looking for systems with oscillating or vibrating components. These can include mechanical, electrical, or acoustical systems. Additionally, you can also look for systems that have a natural frequency or resonance frequency, which is the frequency at which the system vibrates most easily.

2. What are some techniques for controlling resonance?

There are several techniques for controlling resonance, including using damping materials, changing the mass or stiffness of the system, and using active control techniques such as feedback control. You can also try changing the frequency or amplitude of the input to the system to avoid resonance.

3. How can I mitigate the effects of resonance on my system?

To mitigate the effects of resonance on your system, you can try adding damping materials, changing the natural frequency of the system, or using active control techniques. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain your system to ensure it is operating within safe resonance levels.

4. Are there any real-world examples of resonance and its effects?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of resonance and its effects. One example is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge disaster in 1940, where high winds caused the bridge to oscillate and eventually collapse due to resonance. Other examples include the resonance of musical instruments, such as a guitar string, and the vibrations of buildings during earthquakes.

5. How can I use resonance to my advantage in my research or projects?

Resonance can be a useful tool in research and projects when utilized properly. For example, it can be used to enhance the sensitivity of sensors, improve the efficiency of energy transfer in systems, and even create musical instruments. By understanding the principles of resonance, you can find ways to use it to your advantage in your specific field of study or project.