Resonant Structure of Nitrate Ion in AgNO3: Draw a Possible Solution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
temaire
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Draw at least one resonant structure of the nitrate ion in [tex]AgNO_{3}[/tex].



The Attempt at a Solution


Is this a possible resonant structure of the nitrate ion?

avo7iq.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You want a Lewis Dot Structure of AgNO3, not just NO3-.
 
I don't think so - question asks for structure of nitrate ion, and in general structure of nitrate ion doesn't depend on the counterion.

temaire: resonant structure should have localized charge. How many valence electrons on N?

--
methods
 
I think I see where I went wrong. My diagram has 12 valence electrons for N, while I'm supposed to have only 8. But how do resonant structures have localized charges? Shouldn't they have delocalized charges?
 
No, delocalized charge is effect of switching between resonant strutures. Charge is localized in any individual structure, but as molecule switches between them very fast, what we observe is charge that is delocalized.

--
methods
 
So, if I was asked to come up with a resonant structure for the nitrate ion, I would have to include all of the possible lewis dot diagrams for nitrate ions with a certain number of single or double bonds?