Resources to help a parent with child's math struggles

• MHB
  • Thread starter scottkoz20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, Scott's 4th grader struggles with math, and he has found that spending time on the basics, as well as practicing with decimal, has been helpful.
scottkoz20
Hi everyone -

I'm not sure if this is the right spot, I apologize up front if it's not.

I have a 4th grader in the house and she struggles with Math. Add this to the fact that I have an engineering degree, I find helping my daughter a struggle.

I have tried to do some different things for her to visually see the problems that are asked, but sometimes it works and sometimes I think I make it more difficult for her.

For those with kids in 4th (and even 5th/6th) grade, what have you found that has helped your kids ensure the math knowledge is retained.Thanks,
Scott

Science news on Phys.org
Re: Resources to help a parent with childs math struggles

I am not sure whether you would also be looking for book recommendations, but Enzensberger's The Number Devil came to my mind. It was originally written in German but offered in English translation and it was received mostly favorably, but that is also a very personal matter.

Try spending a lot of time on the basics. Math is something relatively new to a 4th grader and the familiarity will help.

Krylov said:
I am not sure whether you would also be looking for book recommendations, but Enzensberger's The Number Devil came to my mind. It was originally written in German but offered in English translation and it was received mostly favorably, but that is also a very personal matter.

I don't mind reading at all. Just looking any suggestions that I potentially use to help.

greg1313 said:
Try spending a lot of time on the basics. Math is something relatively new to a 4th grader and the familiarity will help.

your point on the basics is the part I think the frustrates me the most, I can't go 2 straight days, asking her some basic adding and she struggles with it. However, I am interested on your perspective of math is something relatively new for a 4th grader. She's been taking math since 1st grade, I try to work with her on basics that she should know. I don't think of it is being new, but as the concepts build... I see your point

scottkoz20 said:
I don't mind reading at all. Just looking any suggestions that I potentially use to help.

your point on the basics is the part I think the frustrates me the most, I can't go 2 straight days, asking her some basic adding and she struggles with it. However, I am interested on your perspective of math is something relatively new for a 4th grader. She's been taking math since 1st grade, I try to work with her on basics that she should know. I don't think of it is being new, but as the concepts build... I see your point

It's normal for kids to struggle with adding and multiplication.

Consider adding or multiplying in octal. Perhaps you're familiar with it?
It means counting to 8 instead of 10.
123 in octal, which we'll denote as 123o, actually means $1\cdot 8^2 + 2\cdot 8 + 3 = 83$ in decimal.
How would you add 54o to 48o - without falling back to the decimal system?

A kid needs to be taught how to figure that out (for the decimal system), and then practice, practice, practice with it.

Krylov said:

greg1313 said:

I like Serena said:
It's normal for kids to struggle with adding and multiplication.

Consider adding or multiplying in octal. Perhaps you're familiar with it?
It means counting to 8 instead of 10.
123 in octal, which we'll denote as 123o, actually means $1\cdot 8^2 + 2\cdot 8 + 3 = 83$ in decimal.
How would you add 54o to 48o - without falling back to the decimal system?

A kid needs to be taught how to figure that out (for the decimal system), and then practice, practice, practice with it.

I get it - I do. At the end of the day, I want to be there to help her be confident in her math skills and not get frustrated and shutdown.

As an aside for Octal, 48o would really be 50o since the numbers would go from 0-7 :D (I remembered something from my Digital mathematics class in college from 20 years ago). I really do appreciate the comments

1. How can I help my child with their math struggles?

There are many resources available to help parents support their child's math learning. Some options include hiring a tutor, utilizing online resources such as educational websites and apps, and working with your child's teacher to develop a personalized plan. It's also important to provide a positive and encouraging environment for your child to practice and learn math skills.

2. What are some online resources that can help with my child's math struggles?

There are various websites and apps that offer interactive math games, practice worksheets, and instructional videos. Some examples include Khan Academy, Math Playground, and Prodigy Math. It's important to choose resources that align with your child's learning style and grade level.

3. How can I help my child overcome their fear or dislike of math?

First, it's important to understand the root cause of your child's fear or dislike of math. Is it due to a lack of understanding or confidence? Once you identify the issue, you can work with your child to address it. This may include finding fun and engaging ways to practice math, providing positive reinforcement, or seeking additional support from a tutor or teacher.

4. Are there any math games or activities I can do with my child at home?

Yes, there are many fun and educational math games and activities that you can do with your child at home. Some examples include card games such as "War" or "Go Fish" using math flashcards, board games like Monopoly or Yahtzee that involve counting and money management, and cooking or baking together to practice measuring and fractions.

5. How can I work with my child's teacher to address their math struggles?

It's important to communicate openly and regularly with your child's teacher. Schedule a meeting to discuss your concerns and ask for their advice and recommendations. Your child's teacher can also provide you with additional resources and strategies to support your child's learning at home. Together, you can develop a plan to help your child overcome their math struggles.