Who was selfAdjoint and why is the forum mourning his passing?

• Thread starter Interposer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rest
I remember the playful game threads that he started. I wish I could have known him better.In summary, two members, selfAdjoint and Boulderhead, were remembered and honored by fellow forum members after their passing. Both were known for their contributions and wit on the forum, and they will be greatly missed by those who knew them. Boulderhead was also remembered for his travels and generosity towards others. He passed away in 2006, and his passing was only recently shared with the forum. His friend and fellow member, Pio, shared fond memories of him and expressed sadness for his loss. Many members expressed their sadness and shared their memories of Boulderhead, noting his sense of humor and wisdom.
Interposer
I have been reading from this forum 2-3 years and officially became a member recently. Another member and friend, now also passed, had said to me selfAdjoint's posts were worth attention. Many times too much for me to understand them, yes.
So I will speak for two, Mr. Bolontiku (BoulderHead) and me (Pio) in saying farewell to selfAdjoint and in wishing only those good things for his loved ones who survive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boulderhead was also a friend. He too has been missed.

When did he pass away? Did he ever make it down to South America again?

Yes, Boulderhead has also been missed. Thank you for sharing the news of his passing. I was quite sad when he left PF for his travels...did he know he didn't have long to live at the time? It seemed odd when he requested to have his account closed while he traveled, and perhaps he already knew he would not be able to return? I hope he did get that last trip into South America.

And, Danger, I think you've said it best, that the best way to remember someone who has passed is to celebrate the life they shared with us. The one nice thing about communicating on a forum like this is that his words of wisdom will be here for a long time to come, to continue making an impact on others even after his death.

What?! NO. What happened to Boulderhead? Oh, man. This really sucks.

Zooby will be very sad to hear this. We used to have a lot of fun playing the "ask a stupid question.." game.

Yes he did always travel. One year here, two there, world travels but loved Carribean. He was dying and knew this so sold off all property and business interests then to Brazil, then to Argentina where a friend took care of him to his end which was March 16 2006 (he was 82).
Not good for mention it but savage illness plauged that small body and not much was left of it to afford the cost (you knew his soldier and other injuries, yes?). His wife Maritza died before him over a year. I would and still do read many of his posts right here knowing this but never heard complains. Sad telling for me (I'm crying, yes) but he was financial benefactor and life strategy mentor to me, several years I knew him close. I know he liked you Ivan and Zoobyshoe + some of the ladies here who would be playful with him. Most fond for Kerrie (said she who soothed his mind and eye!).
Strange sometimes to understand there are real people behind the avatar and user name, yes, and it is those people who matter. Facinated by existence he could only find stubborn people amusing to toy with. Very young at heart though broken physically, may he rest well.
This is not meant to take away the significance of selfAdjoint's passing or solemn regret felt, I must say, just explaining for any interested. Normally I will only read these forums, not talk, but do feel better for having spoken out so now back out to obscurity it is time for me to go.

Bless all.

I am glad that you told us. Thank you. Boulderhead was very special to my wife Tsu, me, and many members here at PF. We are sorry for your and our loss.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Boulderhead. This news saddens me more than you can imagine. He was very special and I have missed his wonderful sense of humor. I had always hoped he would return.

This is very, very sad.

This is really sad. I was very fond of Boulderhead, and we shared more than a couple good laughs together.

Evo said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: Boulderhead. This news saddens me more than you can imagine. He was very special and I have missed his wonderful sense of humor. I had always hoped he would return.

This is very, very sad.

Me too, though I'm trying not to be. In hindsight it is clear that his method of leaving the forum was intended to avoid burdening us with this sadness by simply saying he was leaving for another long trip to South America. What a thoughtful person he was. I'm glad he was able to enjoy one last trip.

All in all, it certainly seems best to depart while enjoying oneself on a vacation or extended travels rather than while languishing in a hospital bed, and there is some comfort in knowing that both selfAdjoint and Boulderhead were able to spend their last days in places they enjoyed being.

I am very sad and weepy.

zoobyshoe said:
I am very sad and weepy.

me, too. I always thought one day he would come back to play with us. :frown:

I decided to split off the posts about Boulderhead as he deserves his own thread and many people might not see the news about our dear friend in the other thread.

Goodness, not another one! :cry: I suppose this is a sign that PF is "growing up" now that it is losing some of its dearest elders. :frown: BH was one of my favorite members, especially in the Philosophy section. He was well known for using his terrific sense of humor to take some overinflated egos down a notch or 10. :biggrin:

Farewell to you too, old friend.

I had hoped he would return, and now I find myself hopeing, that if I should be blessed enough to reach 80, that I will enjoy it as much as Boulderhead did. What a gift of spirit he had.

Evo said:
I decided to split off the posts about Boulderhead as he deserves his own thread and many people might not see the news about our dear friend in the other thread.
Very nice, Evo!

Zooby said:
I am very sad and weepy.
That's pretty much how I feel with the passing of selfAdjoint and now BoulderHead. :frown:

I came to PF just before Mr. Bolontiku departed. I remember a discussion about the etymology of his name (and other members too).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=393376&postcount=114

Last edited:
Oh no, Boulderhead. :frown: I liked him a lot too :frown: He was a great person to have on physicsforums to talk to :smile:

Interposer said:
He was dying and knew this so sold off all property and business interests then to Brazil, then to Argentina where a friend took care of him to his end which was March 16 2006 (he was 82).

it's been over a year since boulderheard die. I think we should do a one year anniversary rather than just a memorial. It's too bad we learn of boulderhead fate that late.

iansmith,
It has been over a year, yes. To avoid blame for silence I thought he could have mentioned it in a post or told someone by private message (about terminal illness). He belonged to several forums where I could not speak the language. It was impossible to tell who knew what or who would care to know. It was easy to think everyone might already know, or did not enjoy him equally and would not care to know, yes? In that case my talking would be unwelcomed so I hesistated. :frown:

Splitting this into a thread was a very nice thing to do and he would appreciate every response! To me Moonbear was perceptive (post nine) about him not wanting to sadden others. I know that had to include me. He would tell me don't worry I ran the old lady up a tree, and then laugh (he was found under a tree).
I see a piece of gold to me that Astronuc provides (link in post nineteen); We are treated to some Mopan, haha! He was 1/2 (mother) but he also could speak Kekchi, some Mam, and others too, a wordsmith sometimes.
No responce from Kerrie but she appears abscent for the forum now and could know already? I read yesterday what she said in post number four here; https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=35159 and I think it would be Mr. Bolontiku's sytle also to say pa'te in ba'al (goodbye) and ask to delete the topic itself?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interposer said:
iansmith,
It has been over a year, yes. To avoid blame for silence I thought he could have mentioned it in a post or told someone by private message (about terminal illness). He belonged to several forums where I could not speak the language. It was impossible to tell who knew what or who would care to know. It was easy to think everyone might already know, or did not enjoy him equally and would not care to know, yes? In that case my talking would be unwelcomed so I hesistated. :frown:
Nobody is blaming you for not sharing sooner. As you point out, it's hard to know who knows or wants to know, especially if you are not as familiar with the site. I'm just glad we eventually found out, and that you, as a friend of his, are learning more about how cherished he was here.

No responce from Kerrie but she appears abscent for the forum now and could know already?
I don't know if she already knows and kept it quiet, but she hasn't been active in a while. She had a baby some time ago now, and has been preoccupied being a mommy to a little one again, so hasn't had the time to be here.

We are treated to some Mopan, haha! He was 1/2 (mother) but he also could speak Kekchi, some Mam, and others too, a wordsmith sometimes.
Thank you for sharing that. Yes indeed, we are enriched by BoulderHead's contribution to PF.

Bolon-Ti-Ku (or Bolontiku) - Bolon-ti-ku, or Nine Gods, appear to be treated as one god. We find them represented in the inscriptions, and it seems likely that they represent the nine underworlds and correspond to the Nine Lords of the Night of the Mexicans. (Cf. J. E. Thompson 1929, p. 225, and Seler 1923, p. 31.)
http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/maya/cbc/cbc15.htm

As Moonbear indicated, Kerrie took time off to raise an new baby who will turn 2 this year. :smile:

Last edited:
Interposer said:
iansmith,

Sorry I didn't mean to blame anyone. I just thought it was unfortunate that we learn of his fate a year later and thought that a one year anniversary would be more appropriate that just a memorial. Bouderhead was appreciated on this forum and people are grateful that you told us.

I am very very saddened with Boulderheads passing, he was one of my dearest PF buddies a few years ago.

I am very sad to hear that BoulderHead passed away. He is the one person who I remember most fondly from when I spent a lot of time on PF a few years ago. Although I stopped posting here I visited from time to time just to read BoulderHead's posts. It concerned me that I couldn't find any recent posts by him and now I know why. Very sad right now.

Laser Eyes said:
I am very sad to hear that BoulderHead passed away. He is the one person who I remember most fondly from when I spent a lot of time on PF a few years ago. Although I stopped posting here I visited from time to time just to read BoulderHead's posts. It concerned me that I couldn't find any recent posts by him and now I know why. Very sad right now.

I miss him a lot, still. What a great guy he was!

:cry: I still miss him.

1. Who was selfAdjoint?

SelfAdjoint was a user on the online discussion forum "Stack Exchange Mathematics" who contributed to discussions and provided helpful answers in the field of mathematics.

2. Why is the forum mourning his passing?

The forum is mourning the passing of selfAdjoint because he was a valued member of the community who made significant contributions and was well-respected by other users. His absence will be deeply felt by those who interacted with him on the forum.

3. What were selfAdjoint's areas of expertise?

SelfAdjoint was particularly knowledgeable in the fields of linear algebra and functional analysis. He also had a strong understanding of group theory and topology.

4. How long was selfAdjoint a member of the forum?

SelfAdjoint was an active member of the forum for over 10 years, joining in 2009. During this time, he made over 17,000 posts and gained a reputation for his helpful and insightful contributions.

5. How has selfAdjoint's passing affected the forum?

The passing of selfAdjoint has deeply affected the forum, as he was a respected and valued member of the community. Many users have expressed their sadness and shared memories of interactions with him. His contributions will be greatly missed.